Unanswered: Google drive messed up database

I have an access database on a windows 2003 server and front ends on client computers. I'm a bit of a novice with access but have inherited a fairly big and complex database that I need to maintain.

The problem started when I decided to set up google drive on the server and put the database in there so it would be backed up. When i opened the front end on one of the client machine it gave the following error " this site is located outside your intranet.....". But after research that seemed to be solved by putting the server into internet explorers trusted sites.

The current problem is that when I open the database on the client machines the forms are blank. When I go into into design view and the data tab and set data entry to off I can see the forms fine but obviously can't ad any new data.

I have been researching the problem on this site and have read talk about the primary key being missing, which I think it is. I'm assuming that me moving the database on the server into the google drive folder has somehow corrupted it and I'm hoping it's an easy fix.

Provided Answers: 59
    Access is file sharing database not a client server DB
    I'd expect the application to be using a split database design (data in one file, application / user interface in another file, ideally each user to have their own local UI file.

just wondering if you need to reconnect the data having moved the files location. you may also need to do something with the security settings.

personally I'd be very very wary of using google drive for anything, especially if any of that stuff is sensitive or commercially valuable. if your sole reason is to avoid having to do a backup, then you really shoudl rethink that.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    Access is file sharing database not a client server DB
    I'd expect the application to be using a split database design (data in one file, application / user interface in another file, ideally each user to have their own local UI file.
    Yes, that's the way it works.

just wondering if you need to reconnect the data having moved the files location. you may also need to do something with the security settings.
    I did try linking the tables again but it didn't seem to do anything. I'm not to sure i carried out the task correctly though. In the my database window (F11) I right click on tables and select link tables, select all and link them.

personally I'd be very very wary of using google drive for anything, especially if any of that stuff is sensitive or commercially valuable. if your sole reason is to avoid having to do a backup, then you really shoudl rethink that.
    I can do that but the problem follows the file everywhere, I took the file out of google drive again and it's still the same problem. It's made some sort of change somewhere.

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Meturk View Post

...The current problem is that when I open the database on the client machines the forms are blank...
    This behavior means that:

The RecordSource for the Form has no Records, or that Accesss does not have access to the RecordSource, for whatever reason

and

The Form, is Read-Only, again, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Meturk View Post

...When I...set data entry to off I can see the forms fine but obviously can't ad any new data...
    Having Data Entry set to False, in and of itself, does not preclude the entering of new data! As long as the Form's RecordSource can be Updated and AllowAdditions and AllowEdits are both set to True, new data can be entered!

Despite its ill-advised name, Data Entry set to True means that only New Records can be entered, which ipso facto means that previously existing Records cannot be Viewed or Edited!

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 06-18-12 at 18:35.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Sorry Missingling but I don't really understand what all that means.

I have the database mostly working now but the main table of the database is not sending data to the forms. I can see the data in the table but the form shows nothing (It's not blank any more though just data missing).

I don't think the problem really lies with access anymore it was a windows server 2003 folders permissions problem which I think is fixed.

I made a new database and imported the data into that to see if that made any difference but it hasn't same problem persists.

All I need to know now is how do I get that table working again? I've tried linking tables but I'm not sure what else to do after that to fix this last remaining issue.