Unanswered: Problem distributing front end of database?

This is my first database and I have split it, placed the BE on a network drive, and emailed the FE which was made into an accde file, which works great on my computer that it was made on. However, when my other user tried to open it, there was a message about it not being a valid path? Do I have to map the drive it's on to every computer the front end will be used on?

Also, I have a copy of the database saved before it was split, but if I make changes to the forms in this old file, how do I replace the old FE with the new one while still connecting it to the old BE so the data is saved? If i split the database again, won't the new front end be connected to the new back end?

All of your FE users will need access to the directory that the BE is sitting in. So yes, they will need to be mapped.

I'm not really sure what you are asking in your second question. If the database is split, the FE will have links to the tables in the BE. Simply change the forms in the FE and redistribute this, all the data in the BE will still be there. There's nothing magical in having a split database, it just allows the data to be in one location and the forms, queries, modules, etc. to be in another. Make your changes in a copy of the FE and stay out of the BE whenever possible.

Steve

Provided Answers: 6
    I would not use a mapped drive. Link the table so that the path is:

\\ServerName\ShareName\...\FileName

That way it will work for anybody on the network, regardless of whether they have the same drive mapping you do.
    Paul

I would not use a mapped drive. Link the table so that the path is:

\\ServerName\ShareName\...\FileName

That way it will work for anybody on the network, regardless of whether they have the same drive mapping you do.
    That is a good point. Saves future headaches when the drive letters change or when one user is mapped differently.

All users of the FE will still need to have permissions to the folder however.

Steve

well my FE is an accde file... when I save my front end as an accde, should I save it as a copy so I alone have a copy of the editable FE?

How do I link the table? I thought that's what access was doing automatically when I split it?
    Last edited by klpe237; 06-18-12 at 17:17.

Provided Answers: 6
    Steve appears to have gone offline. You always keep the original accdb. You make your changes and updates to that accdb, and from it create a new accde that you distribute to users.

Access did link the tables when you split it, but it used a mapped drive, presumably because that's where you pointed it. You can use the Linked Table Manager to relink the tables using a UNC path (which is what I posted above is called). Your alternative is to make sure every user has the same mapped drive you do.
    Paul