Unanswered: Production Schedule

I’ve designed an application to help with production scheduling at work. This is by far the largest project I’ve ever undertaken and the first I’ve done in VB.Net and it uses Access as the backend (no other choice I asked for MSSQL). In four months it has grown to > 30,000 records in 4 tables. I had done a bunch of smaller projects in VBA but nothing to this scale.

Anyway, I don’t like how I’ve handled how it schedules production. We have only one production process, saw cutting. We have many saws and they run on three shifts, Day, Afternoon, and Night. We don’t always run on all three shifts, demand driven.

There are four main tables: “ORDERS”, “SAWS”, “JOB” and “JOB ITEMS”. The first contains all the relevant info for an order (id, qty, part#, customer, etc). The second has all the info about the saws (id, name, location, capacity, etc). The third table is where the program assigns a Job to the schedule and where I think I’ve gone wrong.

The “JOB ITEMS” table contains processing instructions for items in the “ORDERS” table and stores and estimated “cut time” which is how long it should take to produce that item. Each “JOB ITEM” relates back to a “JOB”

The “JOB” table contains the assigned “SAW” and processing date.

The program compares the sum of the cut time of all the “JOB ITEM”’s in a “JOB” and compares it to the “SAW” capacity which is the estimated production time a saw can produce in a shift. For example, I estimate that a saw can produce 420min of cutting each shift. If my “JOB” requires 400min of cutting I’m ok. If it were to require more than 420min, it just runs that shift into the negative. I would like to be able to assign the balance to the next shift or next day even.

Every time I think I have a solution, I find something wrong with it. I thought maybe someone could offer advice on how to better handle what I'm doing. I don't know if I've provided enough info. I've attached the relationships diagram if thats of any use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Relationships.JPG  

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    I could be wrong, but if you want programming help, for an app written in VB.NET, I suspect that you're going to have to seek it out in a forum dedicated to VB.NET! The fact that you're using Access for the backend, to store the data, doesn't really make this an Access problem.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my post. I am not looking for programming help. My bit about VB is irrelevant. This is a DB design question so it may still not belong in the Access forum just because I used it. What I'm looking for is hopefully someone that has had a similar experience with designing a database for a production/resource schedule and could offer suggestions on how the tables should be designed. Maybe I have the right idea already or maybe I'm so far off I should scrap it and start fresh.