Exclamation Unanswered: Username, database and password file...easy to open..in mysql postgresql??

I am looking for a file in postgresql and mysql that will show username, password, and database/server info. Does anyone know where that might be located?

Provided Answers: 59
    so which database os it going to be this time
    PostGRES
    MySQL
    or A.N.Other?
    I doubt you will find any script that will show you the password, you should be able to find the userids and permissions. certainly you can do that using say MySQL Workbench, downloadable from their website. however in order to talk to the server(s) you need to be able to logon to them.

..so what has actually happened here?
    have you mislaid the userid & passwords
    In MySQL
    if you haven't changed anything and the server was downloaded by you then the main account is probably root with no password. there are procedures for by passing the root account, which are documented elsewhere
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 12
    In PostgreSQL this information is stored in the system catalog tables which are fully documented in the manual:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/curre.../catalogs.html

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    so which database os it going to be this time
    PostGRES
    MySQL
    or A.N.Other?
    Yes, I do post questions on postgres and mysql databases. I am still learning and will ask alot of 'noobie' questions.

I doubt you will find any script that will show you the password, you should be able to find the userids and permissions. certainly you can do that using say MySQL Workbench, downloadable from their website. however in order to talk to the server(s) you need to be able to logon to them.
    Thanks you, Helped alot
    ..so what has actually happened here?
    have you mislaid the userid & passwords
    In MySQL
    if you haven't changed anything and the server was downloaded by you then the main account is probably root with no password. there are procedures for by passing the root account, which are documented elsewhere
    No. i put in a user and password, but didn't write it down. it was in mysql however knowing how to reset that in postgres would be helpful too.