Question Unanswered: Mysql/postgres port question?

I am building a website and need a database. I want to know if i need to have a mysql/postgresql port open to use a database with my website.

Provided Answers: 59
    ?

if you need a data backed to your website then your web server needs to be able to 'talk' to the database server. whether thats through a specific port, specific firewall specific whatever depends on the configuration of the server(s).

if your website uses flat HTML and no data then it doesn't need to talk to a database (you can use data within a DB to create those flat HTML pages if you so wish).

to be honest given your current level of knowledge I think you would be crazy to host your own website, unless you can recruit some experts to set it up and maintain it for you. the better alternative, I'd suggest, is to go to an ISP and use their expertese to set up the server(s). you should then be able to resolve if you are using Postgres or MySQL or anything else for that matter.

what I have doen int he past with smallish sites is to have a local development server which runs the web server and the data server. and then when it comes to going live the whole lot is sent to the ISP according to their preferred set up,using their interface tools
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

If you are running your own server, then make sure you have a good firewall and port 80 open (for http access). All the other should be closed on your public IP address. If you have the database running on the same machine as your webserver then you do not need to open any database ports.

Healdem is right though you really need to have an administrator look at your server setup to make sure it is secure.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter

?

if you need a data backed to your website then your web server needs to be able to 'talk' to the database server. whether thats through a specific port, specific firewall specific whatever depends on the configuration of the server(s).

if your website uses flat HTML and no data then it doesn't need to talk to a database (you can use data within a DB to create those flat HTML pages if you so wish).
    Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    to be honest given your current level of knowledge I think you would be crazy to host your own website, unless you can recruit some experts to set it up and maintain it for you. the better alternative, I'd suggest, is to go to an ISP and use their expertese to set up the server(s). you should then be able to resolve if you are using Postgres or MySQL or anything else for that matter.

what I have doen int he past with smallish sites is to have a local development server which runs the web server and the data server. and then when it comes to going live the whole lot is sent to the ISP according to their preferred set up,using their interface tools
    yes i understand i not qualified. I am building a websites to help teach me programming. Hopefully it will give me experience. I am not looking to make money.