Unanswered: Linking Existing table with Lookup

Hey all,

I just started a new project and am trying to transition a large existing data set from excel to access. I have created two tables so far dealing with product details and another with category details. What I would like to do is link the category name in both table. My problem is that our products often are reorganized from category to category and I want all the records in the products table to update when I change the data in the category tables.

I already have a large set of data I have imported from excel and don't want to go line by line reentering the same information. Is there anyway to create a new look up in the product table that references the category name already there with the category name in the category table but going forward will just be a look up for the category table?

Thanks in advance for all you help.

New York State
    You don't have to go line by line to enter the same information. Simply use an update query with a criteria statement where "something" = "something else."

In addition, if the product categories are always re-organized, you can ignore the categories altogether, and just make an ID# for the products and use the ID# in all tables, querues, reports, etc., instead of bothering with the categories at all. That way, changing categories won't affect historical data. You can always have a separate category table (with a category ID#) and have a relationship between the two tables based on that, without materially affecting the products table or orders table.

Last edited by Sam Landy; 06-20-12 at 18:15.