Unanswered: Sybase cross-platform replication

Hi.

Is it possible to do Sybase cross-platform replication from Sybase ASE installed on IBM AIX to Sybase ASE on Windows Server using Warm Standby method?

I am using:
    Active ASE Server (IBM AIX): Sybase ASE 12.5.3
    Replication Server (Windows Server 2008): Sybase Replication Server 15.2
    Secondary Server (Windwos Server 2008): Sybase ASE 12.5.3

I've managed to do sybase replication (warm standby) between 2 AIX machines using dump and load materialization. Could anyone share with me the steps involved to do warm standby replication for cross platform?

thanks in advance!

best regards,
    -e4n

You should be able to do this. The question is not so much about the Replication Server, as this is definitely doable. Your challenge is the cross platform dump and load. I never encountered your exact situation with pre 15 versions on AIX and Windows systems. To give you some guidance here's the excerpt from the Sybase manuals.

Cross platform dump and load

Adaptive Server Enterprise version 12.5.2 supported the dump and load of databases across platforms with the same endian architecture.

With Adaptive Server version 12.5.3, you can now dump and load databases across platforms with different endian architecture. This means you can perform dump database and load database from either a big endian platform to a little endian platform, or from a little endian platform to a big endian platform.

Platforms supported:

Big-endian Sun Solaris IBM AIX Silicon Graphics HP-UX on HPPA, HPIA MAC OS X

Little-endian Linux IA Windows HP True 64* Sun Solaris x86

* On True64, the XPDL feature does not work as the backupserver dump is incompatible with other platforms. This issue will be fixed in a future maintenance release

Based on that you should be able to execute a cross platfrom dump and load. For the warm-standby, only the cross platform dump and load is different. Everything else stays the same.

Don't forget to execute sp_post_xpload after loading the database. This will rebuild the indexes as they might have been corrupted in the corss platform dump and load.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Peter