Provided Answers: 6

Unanswered: Current sql book recommendations for brand noobs

Just recently they dropped a contingent of 23 year old college grads into my environment from some of the local high end schools. They are eager, but they do not know anything it seems. Does anyone have a recommendation for a somewhat current beginners guide to sql and\or sql server?

Just what I needed. More hands to hold. Happy Friday.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

i hardly ever take the opportunity to pimp my own book, but it does fit the requirements -- a beginner's guide to sql

it's vendor agnostic, so you won't find any microsoft stuff in it, but that also means it'll always be current (until standard sql is superceded)

it's available from sitepoint only in electronic format, but you can get good deals on the paper edition from amazon
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 6
    I had a copy of your book. Simply SQL, right? I gave it to some kid. I forget who. I give away books too frequently.

I am proud of myself. I resisted the temptation to strike up a conversation with one of these kids in the elevator this morning that is in another department even though she is geekie cute and had an intro to sql book under her arm. I could not do it in good concience. 22 is still a child. Not legally, but emotionally. Most of them anyways.

I have to work something out for my dudes though without crushing them and scaring them off with Itzik, Delaney and Paul etc..., but then a part of me is of the mind that if these kids are supposed to be so smart and from such fine institutions, maybe it is time to mix cliches and take the training wheels off and throw in them in the deep end. I love this paragraph. I need to start writing more often.

Happy Friday.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 54
    I would recommend R937's book for beginners, not Itzik, Kalen, or Paul. I've always been one to swim with the big fish, but that's a personal choice and definitely NOT one for beginners!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.