Thread: Help with query

Unanswered: Help with query

Hello all

It has been some time since I have done some sql programming (other than simple select queries) and therfore require some help in writing an sql query. I have tried to simplify it as much as possible with the following example of what I am trying to achieve.

We have two tables, tbl1 and tbl2. Tbl1 contains a list of people and the items they own. Tbl2 contains a list of these items and the groups they belong too. I want to write an sql query that will select all the missing items the person in tbl1 requires in order to have a complete group. If they dont have an item from a group then I dont want that group to appear for that person.

So lets say in monopoly terms, a person owns property on a green street and a brown street, but no property on the yellow street, i want to find the properties he doesnt own on the green and brown street.

Hope the above is clear....

Any guidance or tips on how to do the above would be great!

Thanks in advance!

t.

Provided Answers: 59
    well might be best to show your tables

there is a wizard in Accessd that will find this for you
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi healdem and thanks for your response!

I have resolved this now. I just created two seperate queries 1) all possible items a person could own 2) all the items they do own. I then joined the two queries based on personid and group fields of the queries and then filtered the tables where the items in the two tables did not match.

Works....