Unanswered: How to prevent a record from being deleted?

I have 2 tables, tblProducts, tblOrders.

I create a new order and add a product (productID) to tblOrders e.g. orderID 001 & productID 999.

I would like Access to prevent the user (by the way of a message box) from deleting a product from tblProducts if the productID is currently added to an order in tblOrders.

How can I go about this?

Provided Answers: 59
    define a relation using RI.
    do not use delete cascade
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 14
    1. Open the Relationships window (in Acc 2003: Tools --> Relationships...)
    2. Add both tables (TblProducts and TblOrders).
    3. Create the link (drag-drop) between the primary key of the master table (tblProducts in your case) and the foreign key of the child table (tblOrders).
    4. Double-click on the link to specify the type of relationship. In your case, it will be One (TblProducts) to Many (TblOrders).
    5. Click on the checkbox "Enforce Referential Integrity".
    6. Click on the "Create" button.
    Have a nice day!

Thanks guys, but maybe I didnt explain correctly, all the relationships between my tables are fine, I need this to work via a command button on a form.

The user will select a product from a listbox (list1) displaying records from tblProducts, then when they press the command button, if the selected product has an orderId along side it in the table then I want a message to inform the user that the product has an order and cannot be deleted at that time.

I found this piece of code from a database I created about 7 years ago, and Im sure it was the correct piece of code, as it was basically the same priniciple, but when I try to run it I get an error 3061 "too few parameters, expected 1" -
    Code:
    Dim delRS As Recordset, delString As String

delstring = "select tblOrders.productID FROM tblOrders WHERE (((tblOrders.productid)='" & [Forms]![form1]![list1] & "'));"
    Set delRS = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(delstring)
    If delRS.RecordCount > 0 Then
    MsgBox "You cannont delete this product at this time because it is related to an order on the database."
    Exit Sub
    End If

is product id a number or a string/text value
    if numeric then you don't need the ' to encapsulate the value

the error message you are getting suggests that there is no value for the SQL engine, probably in the where clause
    that would be easy enough to check if you put a breakpoint on the delstring assignment and check the resultant stuff is valid SQL

you could do the similar function using the domain function dcount, which may be marginally more efficient

productID is numeric, autonumber.

Ive removed the ' and still get the message.

Did you put a breakpoint in like healdem suggested and check the actual sql statement that your code is generating? Most likely, you're not getting what you think you are so copy the resulting sql statement, paste it into a new MS access query and see what you get.

Steve

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by moss2076 View Post
    Thanks guys, but maybe I didnt explain correctly, all the relationships between my tables are fine, I need this to work via a command button on a form.

The user will select a product from a listbox (list1) displaying records from tblProducts, then when they press the command button, if the selected product has an orderId along side it in the table then I want a message to inform the user that the product has an order and cannot be deleted at that time.

I found this piece of code from a database I created about 7 years ago, and Im sure it was the correct piece of code, as it was basically the same priniciple, but when I try to run it I get an error 3061 "too few parameters, expected 1" -
    [CODE]Dim delRS As Recordset, delString As String
    Hi Moss,

In my databases where there are Products and Orders I simply don't give the user the access to Delete a product. The only way my users can make a product disappear is to actually pull that count into an Order. And it constantly reduces the amount. I just wouldn't give them the ability to actually Delete a product. That's just my way of looking at it.
    Will the command button actually be a button to Delete products?

Have a nice one,
    Bud

I'd still declare the relationship
    then trap for the approipriate error message when the app triesd to delete a row and finds it cannot. then dispaly an appropriate error message

Thanks guys I got it to work

Code:
    Dim delRS As Recordset, delString As String

delString = "select tblOrders.productID FROM tblOrders WHERE (((tblOrders.productID)=" & [Forms]![form1]![List1] & "));"

Set delRS = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(delString)

If delRS.RecordCount > 0 Then

MsgBox "You cannont delete this product at this time because it is related to an Customer Order on the database."

Exit Sub

End If

DoCmd****nSQL "DELETE tblproducts.productID, tblproducts.* FROM tblproducts WHERE (((tblproducts.productID)=[Forms]![form1]![list1]));"

Me.List209.Requery