Unanswered: SSMS connection issues

Greetings All,

I recently inherited the role of "DB Troubleshooter" at work, but I'm very new to SQL. After much googling and a great deal of teeth gnashing, I'm at a bit of a loss and I'm hoping some of you here can help me out.

We are running several different SQL servers, primarily SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2 in production. On one of these, SQL Server Management Studio, after some time, fail to connect to the other servers. It gives this as an error message

error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 68)

I've checked that the other servers are allowing remote connections, and that the firewall is letting traffic through. It's just on the one server, and it starts working again after a reboot of the host machine, running Windows Server 2008 R2 to match the SQL Server 2008 R2 install. Outbound connections fail with the above error message, but logging in to one of the other servers and then attempting to connect to the problem server succeed.

Any thoughts? If more info is required, please let em know. As I said, I am a newb in the DBA world, and trying to figure this out on the fly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Carl

Provided Answers: 54
    We recently had a similar problem that turned out to be a routing configuration error that only turned up in production, it couldn't be repeated while the system was being configured or tested. I would ask your networking folks to check for routing inconsistancies such as one or two of the peripheral routers having different map tables than your core router.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    We recently had a similar problem that turned out to be a routing configuration error that only turned up in production, it couldn't be repeated while the system was being configured or tested. I would ask your networking folks to check for routing inconsistancies such as one or two of the peripheral routers having different map tables than your core router.

-PatP
    Hi Pat,

Thanks for the tip , but the problem server is sharing a switch with one of the others, and it still has this problem. Like I said, I'm a bit baffled by this one. The error code 40 says it's a network/dns-type issue, but the fact that it works for a while then quits makes it seem slightly off. I did flush the dns cache on the server, and I'm hoping that makes a difference. Not sure what the error 68 means yet. I'll double check the routing just to be sure though. Never hurts to be thorough!

Carl

Hi all,

Just in case somebody stumbles across this thread and is having a similar issue, I figured out what I think was causing the problem. MSDTC was getting turned off, and causing the server to no longer make outgoing connections. once that was turned back on, the problem has since gone away. This link to MSDN has some info about checking to see if DTC is on and how to change the settings

linky

Hope this helps!

Carl