Question Unanswered: Concept of Holding a reservation

Hi Experts!

I have a question and will be grateful if you can help me out with some ideas.

In an online hotel or ticket booking reservation system, normally a user is allocated a specific time to complete their registration / payments etc and during that time the system holds the reservation for that user. If the user is unable to finish their registration during that time the system times out and the user is not allowed to proceed any further. The system unholds the reservation for other users.

My question is, if a user is taken to the payment gateway system (paypal etc) and they spend all of the allocated/hold time on the payment page, and after making a successful payment they return back to the site, will the system still allow them to complete the booking even though the user ran out of his allocated time?

How does this work in a typical booking system?

Many thanks in advance.

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    I don't think that there is a single perceived 'right' way of handling this event. There are no hard rules it comes down to a business decision.

I think the main area of concern could be a legal implication, where you have taken money for purchase and for what ever reason you can no longer complete the contract. your terms and conditions would need to reflect that so that you are protected. the key elements are is that any terms and conditions you impose are goingtohave to pass the 'reasonable' test.

If I were you I'd put a limit of say 15..30 minutes (way more than you'd actually need) . in your terms and conditions state that the transaction lapses if you haven't received the hand back from the payment agent in that time. you may need to use some legalese reflecting that the contract isn't binding unless the payment is received in that time
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton