Unanswered: Cursor Jumping Bug

Hi,

I have a front end, back end database, with 7 users, which we have had running for three years. I add additional functionality every now and then, and on the whole, it works very well. Its Access 2007 and we are running Windows 7 and Vista.

Our main interface is a form which has the standard system generated Search box. Sometimes, a user will click in the search box and start typing the project they want to find, such as Chester Road. At any point during the typing, the cursor sometimes jumps out of the search box, lands in another text box, deletes the contents of that text box and continues typing.

So we can end up with 'Chester R' in the search box, and the text box that it jumps to has 'oad'. Our engineers are not good at typing, so they are looking at the keyboard rather than the screen and therefore do not always notice.

I am sure this is not finger trouble as it has happened to me a few times. The user that has the most problems with this is the engineering manager who does more searching than any other user. It also happens now and then on all workstations.

The actual box the cursor jumps to would be the first text field that it finds with the matching letters, for example, if we type 'Hel' and the fault happens, if may have found the first textbox with 'hel' in it to be helen@fhgy.co.uk, and therefore it will delete the helen email address and insert 'en'.

This can happen a few times a day, then nothing for a week. On many occasions, the search mechansim has already found the correct record, so the user gets the data he wants and then moves on, therefore, that record is then changed and no one knows until the record is called up again.

I am at a total loss.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nigel

Is there any code running on the search box or on that screeen?
    Regards
    JD

Software-Matters

Hi JD,

I haven't written any code that would be running, the only code I have added is code that is run when buttons are clicked on.

The search box is the one that is created when the form is created and I haven't added anything to it.

Nigel

The search box is the one that is created when the form is created and I haven't added anything to it.
    So did the wizard create the button because it may have created a macro or added some code?
    Regards
    JD

Software-Matters

There isn't a button, the wizard just added the search box which we type into.

If you have time to look at the attached PDF you can see the form and the search box at the bottom, next to where it says 'Unfiltered'.

Thanks
    Nigel
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry I meant the search box but looking at the pdf I now understand what you mean.
    The in-built Access search box is jumping as your typing and is this happening on different machines?
    Regards
    JD

Software-Matters

Provided Answers: 19
    You have a 'front end, back end database,' but do you have a copy of the Front End on each user's machine?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Yes, exactly.

So if we are looking for a particular project, we click in the search box, start typing the name of the project and as we type access finds the first record that matches what we are typing.

But sometimes, on any of our machines, it suddenly jumps to the test box that has matched what we are typing, and as they are not looking at the screen, as soon as it jumps, in deletes what is in that text box and you are now typing in that text box.

Weird!

Nigel

Yes, each computer has the front end on their own computer.

When things in Access begin to really behave strangely, especially if they only behave strangely intermittently, I always think about corruption. We normally think about corruption in terms of Forms or entire Databases, but Controls can and do become corrupted, as well!

I'd simply delete the Textbox that you're using for the search terms and then re-create it. If it's too much trouble to do and re-distribute the Front End to all users, do it on your copy and monitor it to see if the problem disappears.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

Hi linq,

It is not a problem re-distributing, so I will give it go. That does make sense. I am not that good at databases but I am a software engineer, and that is exactly what I would do if a piece of code was not perfoming as expected.

Time will tell.

Thanks

Nigel

Good luck!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!