Unanswered: create user table in a table space?

Hallo everyone,

I have succeded create an instance and a database, I am about to create a table now. As I look in the documentation, there is an interesting issue I am concerning about:

Should I create a table in a particular table space? What would be the differences if I dont put my table in a particular table space? And if I do create a table in a table space, should I create the table space first or I should create the table in the table spaces created from CREATE DATABASE?

Thank you for the comments.

Regards,
    Ratna

Each table is always in some table space. If you do not specify a table space explicitly in the CREATE TABLE statement, DB2 will choose a table space for you. The rules used for that are documented for the CREATE TABLE statement.

Which table space you choose depends on your requirements for managing the table objects and underlying storage (like important tables on fast devices etc.)
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Hallo stolze,

thank you for the comment. The table space is not a must. I think, for beginner, this should also not be an issue too? Rather the issue for the administration than application admin, I think.

Viele Gre,
    Ratna

Provided Answers: 11
    yes, tablespace is a must
    if not specified, you will have no control where the table will be created
    most of the time, in a tablespace you did not wanted to use for this table
    always specify the ts for create table ....
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

I agree that placement of tables is a question for the database administrator. The application developer/admin shouldn't be concerned about that. But the app admin should talk to the dba so that the proper choices can be made correctly because the dba may not know the access profile of your application.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development