Unanswered: action queries running in sql

Hi all,
    I upsized an access 2003 db to sql server 2008. I am using access 2003 as front end. I have the update queries that I run in a function as follows(sql view) I am using the docmd open query:

Code:
    UPDATE tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP INNER JOIN dbo_tblZipcode ON tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.RECIPIENTZIP = dbo_tblZipcode.txtZIPCODE SET tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.RECIPIENTCITY = [dbo_tblZipcode].[txtCity], tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.RECIPIENTSTATE = [dbo_tblZipcode].[txtState];
    Code:
    UPDATE tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP INNER JOIN dbo_tblCarrierID ON tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.CARRIERID = dbo_tblCarrierID.txtCARRIERID SET tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.CARRIERNAME = [dbo_tblCARRIERID].[txtCARRIERNAME];
    Code:
    UPDATE tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP INNER JOIN qryCOUNTRYREGION ON tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.RECIPIENTSTATE = qryCOUNTRYREGION.txtSTATE SET tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.COUNTRYREGRECIPIENT = [qryCOUNTRYREGION].[txtREGIONDESC];
    I also have an append query in this function that runs after these update queries.

When I run the function like normal from the access front end; it takes a very long time.

Do I need to convert this to a stored procedure or what do I need to do to cut this time down.

Please help! Thank you.

Provided Answers: 54
    Given your code:
    Code:
    UPDATE tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP
       INNER JOIN dbo_tblZipcode
          ON tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.RECIPIENTZIP = dbo_tblZipcode.txtZIPCODE
       SET
          tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.RECIPIENTCITY = [dbo_tblZipcode].[txtCity]
    ,     tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.RECIPIENTSTATE = [dbo_tblZipcode].[txtState];

INNER JOIN dbo_tblCarrierID
          ON tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.CARRIERID = dbo_tblCarrierID.txtCARRIERID
       SET tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.CARRIERNAME = [dbo_tblCARRIERID].[txtCARRIERNAME];

INNER JOIN qryCOUNTRYREGION
          ON tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.RECIPIENTSTATE = qryCOUNTRYREGION.txtSTATE
       SET tblDTF_SHIPMENT_TEMP.COUNTRYREGRECIPIENT = [qryCOUNTRYREGION].[txtREGIONDESC];
    I'd suggest that you check to be sure that you have appropriate indexes. Specifically, you need:

Code:
    Table Name         Index Starts With
    ----------------   -----------------
    dbo_tblZipcode     txtZIPCODE
    dbo_tblCarrierID   txtCARRIERID
    qryCOUNTRYREGION   txtSTATE
    -PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Ok. All of these tables have id fields as primary keys clustered. In the region table, txtState is unique, nonclustered. What should I change. Thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    Are there indexes on the dbo_tblZipcode.txtZIPCODE and the dbo_tblCarrierID.txtCARRIERID columns (so that these columns are the first column listed in at least one index)?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

txtZipcode-dbo.tblZipcode$Zipcode(Non-Unique, Non-Clustered)

dbo.tblCarrierID$PrimaryKey(Clustered)
    no index on txtCarrierID

How should this be changed pls?