Unanswered: Can one query take the results from another query?

Hi, I am pretty much a new MS Access user, but slowly learning the ropes. If anybody could answer my question below, I would appreciate it:

This is what I am looking for:

One query takes a search criteria and spits out all records that match the criteria, but displays only a few select fields. (This is done with the intend to give the dB user an initial brief idea about what to expect in each record). The results of query 1 could be in a form or a report (?).

Then, the user selects the records (from query 1) for which he wants to see full details, he can click on a button, for selected records and a second query provides him/her with ALL fields (of the records he selects).

The whole idea is break up a search into 2 steps - (1) find and make a list of all records that match a criteria, showing just a few fields at first (2) From this list down select a few records for which ALL fields are produced in a report.

Is this possible? If so, how? Thank you!!

Provided Answers: 14
    1. Query1 ("Source"):
    SELECT <RowID>, <Column1>, <Column2>, <Column3>, <Column4>, <Column5>, <Column6>, <Column7>, <Column8>, <Column9>
    FROM <SomeTable>
    WHERE <Criteria>;
    Selection form uses:

2. Query2 ("Short Preview"):
    SELECT <RowID>, <Column1>, <Column3>, <Column4>, <Column9>
    FROM <Query1>;
    User selects the records which yields a (comma separated) list of selected RowIDs.

3. Query3 ("Detailed View")
    SELECT *
    FROM <Query1>
    WHERE (RowID IN (<List of Selected RowIDs>);
    Have a nice day!

Hi Sinndho,

Thank you for your response, however, I am afraid, I do not know where to put this SQL code into. I usually create queries using the wizard, and I do not know where the SQL code goes into.

I hate to bother you, but could you please send me a small access dB with your code? My email is

Thank you.