DB App - Upload, Map & Search

Hi,

I am in the need for a database and my budget and programing knowledge is limited, so I was hoping someone could help.

I have a small business who is partnered with a large company. They have database full of contract pricing. When we get new customers, we have to look up the items they are buying via manufacturer item numbers and find out what our contracted price is in their online database. We currently do this one by one and it is extremely time consuming.

We would like a way to upload an Excel or CSV file filled with item numbers, and the program would spit out contracted prices and some other data in the database. We can export all of the pricing data from our partners database, so the data is not a problem. VLookup in Excel is not a viable solution either because there are too many prices in the database, and we have do export contract by contract.

I was hoping there was a free program like there is for e-commerce websites such as ZenCart or something, but any ideas would be very much appreciated. I can spend a little, but do not have the capital for a custom system.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I've got an idea for a free solution, but need to check the size of the data before I propose it to you.

Ask your vendor for a CSV export of all of the data that you're going to need. At this point I'm interested in how many lines of text are in the file, and the file size in bytes.

What factors figure into your lookup? Is it purely the part number, or do other factors like contract or customer figure into your lookup?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

The CSV file consists of 1,700 contracts, and about 2 million products. However, we typically use 200-300 of those contracts. So we would only export our most popular contracts. The CSV file export displays product number, description, vendor, unit of measure, and price.

Thanks!

Someone can probably write you a "lookup function" in Excel's VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) that can access your data in a SQL Server Express database.

The person that writes it for you will need access to your data, and a machine able to run Excel and SQL Server Express. They will also need some assistance from you or your data provider to formalize the specification, and for technical help as they write and test the function. This isn't hard from a technical standpoint, but it takes a fair bit of insight into what you are doing now and what you want to achieve in the long run.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.