Unanswered: database versions

All,
    I have an Access 2003 front end with Sql Server 2008 backend. Most of the users will access the database using Access 2007 and 2010. Should I upgrade the database to Access 2007 or 2010? Would it have any performance or corruption issues if I do?
    Thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    Since your question depends much more on Microsoft Access than it depends on SQL Server, I've moved this thread to the Microsoft Access forum.

My initial thought would be to upgrade to the oldest version of Microsoft Access that you intend to support., in this example that sounds like it will be 2007. There is no guarantee (and actually little chance) that an older version of access will be able to access your front end after you upgrade to a newer version of Access. The version of Access will determine which features you can use, so it will definitely have an impact on performance, features, etc.

The folks that regularly use Microsoft Access will know a lot more about it than I do. I only use/support it casually.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjen View Post
    All,
    I have an Access 2003 front end with Sql Server 2008 backend. Most of the users will access the database using Access 2007 and 2010. Should I upgrade the database to Access 2007 or 2010? Would it have any performance or corruption issues if I do?
    Thanks
    Are you having issues now, when you're using 2003? Otherwise, I'd use the old adage, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

Sam

No; Im not and wanted to be proactive if something along the lines of performance issues came up. Thanks so much for replying.

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjen View Post

...Most of the users will access the database using Access 2007 and 2010.
    I think that the 'Most' is the critical word, here! Is everybody going to be using either 2007 or 2010, or only 'Most?' If anyone is going to be stuck with 2003 then you need to leave it as it is.

And even if the answer is everybody, I'd still vote with Sam! Unless you anticipate modifications requiring new 2007/2010 functions, leave it in the 2002-2003 format.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007