Unanswered: DB2 LUW Text Search - search using special characters

Hello,
    I have installed DB2 LUW 9.7.4 with Text Search option on Windows box and I'm currently 'struggling' with full text search queries containing special characters, especially "_" (underscore). I'm searching agains XML structure inside XML column using xpath.
    The "FILENAME" XML tag contains records like "abcdefg_h.pdf".

This is my query:
    SELECT * FROM MY_XML_TABLE WHERE contains(DOC_XML, '@xpath:''/DOCUMENT/FILENAME[. contains("abcdefg\_h*") ]''')=1
    go

Here's the result:
    Error occurred during text search processing on server "localhost" using index "SCHEMANAME.TXTIND_DOCXML". The error message is ""IQQS0032E The query cannot be proces".. SQLCODE=-20423, SQLSTATE=38H10, DRIVER=3.53.71

From the db2diag.log I can see that the command syntax used in wrong:
    "IQQS0032E The query cannot be processed because it has incorrect syntax.
    Causes of the problem:
    IQQG0020E com.ibm.siapi.SiapiException: Message0: SEVERITY_ERROR: Message ID: [] Resource Bundle: [] Message Text: []
    IQQG0020E com.ibm.es.nuvo.search.query.parser.TokenMgrError: Lexical error at line 1, column 48. Encountered: "_" (95), after : "\'/DOCUMENT/FILENAME[. contains(\"abcdefg\\""

As you can see, I use "\" to escape "_" character (according to TS documentation) and wildcard (*) search, but this obviously doesn't work as I expected (I also get the same error using the term without "*" (e.g. "abcdefg\_h.pdf")). Query with "abcdefg_h.pdf" works fine.

What I'm I doing wrong?
    I would really appreciate some help on this issue.

Thank you in advance.
    Best regards,
    Domen
    Last edited by domenm; 07-17-12 at 09:48.

Provided Answers: 18
    Don't you also need to include the ESCAPE clause to identify the escape character?
    DB2 Database for Linux, UNIX, and Windows r7/topic/com.ibm.db2.luw.admin.nse.topics.doc/doc/t0 052180.html

Quote Originally Posted by db2mor View Post
    Don't you also need to include the ESCAPE clause to identify the escape character?
    DB2 Database for Linux, UNIX, and Windows r7/topic/com.ibm.db2.luw.admin.nse.topics.doc/doc/t0 052180.html
    Hello db2mor,

Thank you for your reply. At first I've also thought about the ESCAPE keyword, but I believe this is only valid for NSE, but not for DB2 Text Search. The only way, as I see, is to use "\" to escape special chars from search term.

Please, see:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/da...ion/index.html

Thanks anyway.
    BR,
    Domen
    Last edited by domenm; 07-17-12 at 09:46.

OK I see now what you mean.
    Is something eating that escape character?

Looks like it. Maybe xpath doesn't allow to use this kind of search form?

At this page:
    Search syntax for XML documents - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

it says:
    DB2 Text Search features such as phrases, wildcards, and synonyms are not supported in XML search queries.

OK, I see what doc says. But still, if I perform a query like the following one, I get the result(s) correctly:
    SELECT * FROM MY_XML_TABLE WHERE contains(DOC_XML, '@xpath:''/DOCUMENT/FILENAME[ contains("abcdefg*") ]''')=1;

Only when underscore "_" char is in play, the query doesn't return anything. Here's the example:
    SELECT * FROM DOCUMENTS_XML WHERE contains(DOC_XML, '@xpath:''/DOCUMENT/FILENAME[ contains("abcdefg_*") ]''')=1;

Strange.