Unanswered: Find entries that do not match exactly

I have two tables, one with vendor names and more data and the other table contains vendor names only. The second table however has the vendor names written without any logic or procedures.
    If I build a querry to look in the table with the names only to find in the other table the name and additional data, I get zero returned. Manually I can see there are matches but the table is to big to go through them by hand. Is there a way to find a match or show me the result that is close to the original name?

Cary, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Facesaint View Post
    Is there a way to find a match or show me the result that is close to the original name?
    Well, "close to the original" is a relative term.

Lets say the vendor1 contains all the info and vendor2 just the names. To find items in vendor1 that contain the name from vendor2 you could open a new query with both tables and in the criteria for vendor1.vendorName enter:

Like "*" & [Vendor2].[VendorName] & "*"

Handling differences in spelling, abbreviations, etc. are tougher. How you handle this depends on if you are looking to clean up the data, combine the tables, or just extract info. (Ultimately, you need to clean the data up to avoid continued issues.) If you use VBA, you could create some cleanup methods that would traverse the data and matching the records based on a series of logical tests (or human interaction!)

If you can't change the values in either table, you could create a interchange table. In this table, once you know that two records match you enter the ID from Vendor1 & the matching ID from Vendor2. You then use this as the middle table to join the others together.

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    What, exactly, is the purpose of the Table that only contains Vendor names? This sounds more than a little strange.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007