Unanswered: Partitioning DB2 (Linux or Windows)

Hi

I am student and one of my project requires to test database partitioning feature from DB2.

I have my friend and my notebook connected to local LAN network. We would like to use one laptop as main database shared for users and other laptops as partitions of this base.

And know is some problem because if we use windows as platform we should install on one of this computer Windows Server, create domain and connect others computers to this domain.

Now I have questions for that. It could by easier to use Linux as platform and simple connect this computers, create db2nodes.cnf file and that is all (without creating domain, etc. ) ?

Thank you for all the answers !!!!!

Best regards

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by 94ostry View Post
    we should install on one of this computer Windows Server, create domain and connect others computers to this domain.
    You don't need to do any of this - DB2 is perfectly fine with local users. Windows Server may be a requirement for your DB2 version and edition - check system requirements.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Thanks for answer !

I use Db2 Enterprise Serwer Edition 9.7

I follow the directions from this book :
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247467.pdf page 71

Provided Answers: 18
    That PDF document has this sentence (but does not give any alternative):
    The first step in setting up a partitioned environment on Windows is to ensure that your participating servers meet the minimum requirements and are part of a Windows domain

So I need install Windows server? (Windows 7 or other deskop version not allow to create domain controller). What about Linux?

Putting partitions on different laptops is not a good idea. There needs to be a high speed private network between the partitions to get even mediorcre performance.

I would create multiple database partitions on a single server with a multiple CPU cores. If you had a quad-core Linux machine, that would work OK with 4 partitions on the same server (one CPU core per partition). Hopefully the server has lots of memory.

I don't know where you got the license, but ESE requires an additional DPF feature license for Partitioned Databases to work (I assume you are not talking about partitioned tables, aka range partitioning, which is a feature of ESE).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2mor View Post
    to ensure that your participating servers meet the minimum requirements and are part of a Windows domain
    This appears to be the recommendation of the redbook authors, but not a requirement.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

So I do not need to use the wizard from db2 installation? When I use db2 installation wizard and instruction from this book I do :

1. create domain :
    Laptop 1 : Windows Server 2003
    Laptop 2 : Windows 7
    Laptop 3 : Windows 7

2. install db2 instance on windows serwer 2003

3. try install db2 instance on Laptop 3 with option 'Join an existing partitioned database environment' selected from instalation wizard.
    Unfortunately I can selected my server computer but I get an error about the 'no an db2 instance'. Secondly I try enter the instance name but this does not resolve the problem.

So I would like to know if creating an environment for partitioning is easier on Linux.
    I now that is something like db2nodes.cfg where I can config my nodes. I try do something with my windows environment without success.

Thanks all for help !!!!!

I don't know how it works with the GUI on windows. On Linux, I create the db2nodes.cfg manually.

I am not sure how you can do it with mutilple Windows laptops. At least in Linux/AIX, the instance home directory path is share mounted (NFS) on each phyiscal server, so all the instances share the same home directory.
    M. A. Feldman

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    I don't know how it works with the GUI on windows. On Linux, I create the db2nodes.cfg manually.

I am not sure how you can do it with mutilple Windows laptops. At least in Linux/AIX, the instance home directory path is share mounted (NFS) on each phyiscal server, so all the instances share the same home directory.
    Thanks for that

So I Linux platform I have to install at one computer serwer version of Linux or deskop version on each be enough (of course computers are connected to the same LAN)?

Thanks for that

So I Linux platform I have to install at one computer serwer version of Linux or deskop version on each be enough (of course computers are connected to the same LAN)?
    I don't understand your comment/question above.

If you have multiple physical servers, then each physical server must have a shared mount point for the instance owner on each server. On Linux/UNIX this is done with a NFS share. Not sure how it is done on Windows.

If you have one physical server, with multiple partitions, then that will be a lot easier.
    M. A. Feldman

In my experiment (student project) I have to study partitioning in DB2.
    Based on what I read I learned that DB2 allows:
    a) database partitioning
    b) table partitioning

so for a) I would like to have one DB2 serwer with multiple partitions (database partitions) on one computer. But these partitions are on other computers.

Computer 1 : DB2 Server
    Computer 2 : partition 1
    Computer 2 : partition 2

To do this I need network environment. I tried to do it with windows but I had problems. Now I want try to do that using Linux.

I can do this easily ?

In my experiment (student project) I have to study partitioning in DB2.
    Based on what I read I learned that DB2 allows:
    a) database partitioning
    b) table partitioning

so for a) I would like to have one DB2 serwer with multiple partitions (database partitions) on one computer. But these partitions are on other computers.

Computer 1 : DB2 Server
    Computer 2 : partition 1
    Computer 2 : partition 2

To do this I need network environment. I tried to do it with windows but I had problems. Now I want try to do that using Linux.

I can do this easily ?
    If I were you, I would stick to Table Partitioning. DPF is hard to set up, requires some hefty hardware, and I am not sure you even have a license for it (not included in ESE license).
    M. A. Feldman

Provided Answers: 18
    Regarding DPF on Windows, and the dependency on a domain for physical partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    This appears to be the recommendation of the redbook authors, but not a requirement.
    I am curious about this, the DB2 Infocenter also specifies that for DPF on Windows the starting point for multiple physical partions is that participating computers must be members of the same domain.

However, logical partitions can be added to the instance-owning computer without the computer being a member of a domain.

But once you physically distribute over multiple Windows computers, each computer must be a member of the same domain, and the account that the instance-service(s) uses for login must also be a domain-user.

If it's possible to have DB2 DPF on Windows with multiple physical partitions on computers that are not part of a domain, then I'd like to see the detailed installation and configuration instructions.