Unanswered: Problems restoring DB2 Express-C database on version 9.7.5

Dear community,

I registered here to ask a question, to which I have been able to find no answer elsewhere. The situation is as follows: I have two servers running 64-bit CentOS Linux. On machine A, I have a database from DB2 Express-C version 9.7.5 (the content of the database is part of the Jazz CLM solution, see https://jazz.net/). I need to migrate a this database from machine A to machine B. On machine B, I have successfully installed DB2 Express-C version 9.7.5, and verified the installation using the db2val program. Also, I have logged in as db2inst1, created a test database and connected to it, to verify this works.

When I try to recover the database on machine B, using the following command:
    Code:
    db2 restore database QM from /home/db2inst1/ taken at 20120723021159
    it will work for some time, and then give me the following error:
    Code:
    SQL1224N  The database manager is not able to accept new requests, has
    terminated all requests in progress, or has terminated the specified request
    because of an error or a forced interrupt.
    The DB2 Express-C installation on machine B is totally fresh, so I have no idea why this fails. I have not been able to find any solution elsewhere, so I put my hopes here. The backed up database was created on machine A using the
    Code:
    db2 backup
    command. Please help!

Provided Answers: 18
    Please post the lines that get added to db2diag.log on machine-B when you try the RESTORE.

Please post if the file-systems / mount-points / permissions on machine-B are *identical in every respect* to those of machine-A. (If they are different then you will need to do a redirected restore, and/or use the TO option on the restore command line if you are using automatic storage).

Please also post the Centos output of:
    cat /etc/redhat-release
    and also output of
    uname -s

Requested output

Hi db2mor,

Please find the requested output from db2diag.log here: log file at pastebin.com

I am not really a big Linux user, so I am not sure about all the information you requested. However, let me mention that I saw a memory heap error in the db2diag.log, and this made me realize that machibe B only has 1 GB ram while machine A has 4 GB ram (they are both virtual machines). I can say that machine A uses the pam_ldap module for authentication, while machine B is simply a test server, and here I use root access. On machine A, the DB2 backup was created using a special "backup" user. I changed the ownership on the file to my own user, to allow me to copy it to machine B using the "scp" command.

Output from cat /etc/redhat-release:
    Code:
    CentOS release 6.2 (Final)
    Output from uname -s:
    Code:
    Linux
    Thanks for your quick reply. I hope we can get somewhere with this

Provided Answers: 18
    Multiple messages (errors/warnings) relating to memory allocation failures.
    Also a segmentation-violation (ADM14011C) ...

Suggest you allocate more RAM (i.e. same as machine-A) to the machine-B virtual-image, and then tune the linux-kernel-parameters, db2-registry, dbm-cfg to be the same between the two machine-images. Then retry.

Can you post the *exact* command-line that you used on machine-A to perform the backup?

Hi db2mor,

I have access to a third machine C, which also runs 64-bit CentOS Linux. This machine has 6 GB ram, and I tried installing a fresh DB2 Express-C 9.7.5 on it. I then tried to restore the same database on this machine, and guess what? It works just fine! At this point, I am concluding that it was a memory issue. I will see if I can be allowed to beef up the RAM on machine B to verify.

As requested, the exact command used to backup the database on machine A:
    Code:
    db2 'backup database JTS to /home/db2inst1/' >> ${LOGFILE_NAME}