Unanswered: Need help with accessing MS Access Data

Hello,

I'm new to DB management. I posted a question yesterday, but for some reason it isn't showing. Anyway...

We have a very old PC (1990's) with an early generation of MS Access installed. It's been usedit ever since. We want to migrate to a newer PC, but cannot invest (yet) in newer software.

We don't have the licensing info for the old MS Access. I am wondering if the best approach is to find a free alternative that will allow us to access the data on the new PC (After it has been imported).

I'm also considering imaging the old system and having it run in a VM on the newer system.

The business was sold and the original owner wants to keep the old PC, but we need the data and the ability to access it and print forms, etc.

Any thoughts or direction?

Provided Answers: 59
    a current copy of Access should be able to open the Version 1 of Access. there may well be problems with the changes in VBA from that version but it should be doable.

if the data is that critical then the cost of an Access licence would be negligble. I'd check to see if the organisation has Access already installed

you could try running the file against the (free) runtime versions of Access, however I don't hold out much hope of the application working without changes

you should be able to get access to the data using somethign such as Open Office's db product, as JET (the underlying database in Access) is available on all Windows PC's, and can be accessed as an ODBC data source
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thank you. I will try the free versions, after I've tried to convince them to purchase a new license.

Talked them into purchasing a license. Thank goodness. I didn't want to deal with that mess. I appreciate your input!