Unanswered: Hypothetical hotel database in Access

Hello!

I have been struggling to complete a database for a hotel. I think the relationships are a bit confusing and lacks a lot of detail. I want a main menu screen also but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. It lacks macro's (which I'm not sure how to use) and the reports need padding.

Would it be ok for me to upload it and you guys give it a look and tell where I've went wrong? Or I could email it to one you guys and you could post back here what I should do with it?

(I just realised I can attach it here because it is too large a file)
    Thanks so much,

db-amateur

Provided Answers: 59
    sanitise or remove any sensitive data
    compact and repair the application
    compress it into a zip file
    and add the zip file as an attachment
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi healdam

Would you mind if I sent you it in email form? I'm in work at the moment and won't be able to compress it and zip it. I only have it on my pen drive.

nope
    this is a public forum, questions are posed in public, solutions are posted in public. thats the way a community like this works. if for no other reason that if someone has a similar problem to you they may learn from possible solutions posed

Ok, no problem, I'll up a compressed folder.

Thanks!

Assignment database1111.zip

How about starting your assignment and then asking specific questions as you get further along? This is about learning, not about getting someone to do your homework.

Steve

I think you need to talk this assignment through with your teacher or your fellow students
    I think the relationships are a bit confusing and lacks a lot of detail
    I think you don't understand relational theory and concepts.
    Fundamentals of Relational Database Design -- r937.com
    and
    The Relational Data Model, Normalisation and effective Database Design
    are oft cited here as good groundings
    understand the difference between a primary key and a foreign key

when you define relationships in Access it is best to use the 'enforce relational integrity' option and probably update cascade BUT NOT delete cascade

at present your model suggests that the customer ID is the same as the roomid inferring that a customer can only ever book one room
    likewise your employeeid is the same as the roomid inferring that an employee can only ever be associated with one room
    a booking id is the same as a room id, inferring that you can only ever accpet one booking for one room
    a customer has no direct relationship to teh room, i'd suggest the realtionship is to the booking which in turn identifies the room(s) that comprise that booking

As Steve suggests
    you need to take ownership of your own assignment. by all means come back if you have a specific question (and where you can demonstrate that you understand the concepts/principals but need help on the detail. allowing us to do your assignment for you cheats you of the learning process