Local Editing Software

Hey there,

I have a database hosted on my website server that access with MySql workbench. I've exported the entire database from phpmyadmin and saved to my desktop as an sql file.

Is there a program that will allow me to access and fully edit the database like I can in sql workbench, without having it hosted on a server?

Please keep in mind that I still consider myself a noob as I'm completely self taught up to this point (which isn't very far). Also I'd prefer not to use MS Access, if possible

Cheers!

I'd just install MySQL on your desktop machine. You'll probably need to buy a commercial license for MySQL to host a copy of a production web site. I haven't read Oracle's licensing agreement for MySQL, but that's how it works for the Oracle Database product.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

As an alternative, you could use one of the Open Source equivalents for MySQL, such as MariaDB which doesn't require licensing for this kind of use.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks, I'll give it a try

MySQL shouild be able to reverses and forward engineer and MySQL db it can talk to. the problem is usually getting access to the remote db due to ISP security considerations.

even if you cannot getr MySQL to talk directly to the remote db then it can generate the SQL script. however Im not certain it will do incrementsal changes, it may be that you'd need to backup the exisitng data, then use the MySQL script to drop the existign and start anew, then apply your data back
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    MySQL shouild be able to reverses and forward engineer and MySQL db it can talk to. the problem is usually getting access to the remote db due to ISP security considerations.

even if you cannot getr MySQL to talk directly to the remote db then it can generate the SQL script. however Im not certain it will do incrementsal changes, it may be that you'd need to backup the exisitng data, then use the MySQL script to drop the existign and start anew, then apply your data back
    Whoosh, over my head

Although I read "remote" a few times in there so I should reiterate that I'm working with an offline database.