Unanswered: Pervasive v10 --> SQL 2008 R2 Linked Server = (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7303)

Hi All,

I am trying to setup a linked server in SQL 2008 R2 (32-bit) to pull data from Pervasive Workgourp v10.30. I had this working on my old XP (32-bit) system, but I can't seem to make it work on my new Windows 7 (64-bit) system.

Below is an example of the code I would use to connect to DEMODATA:

Code:
    USE master 
    GO 
    sp_addlinkedserver 'PSQL', '', 'MSDASQL', 'DEMODATA';

But when I try to query any data, or simply right-click > Test Connection, I get the following error.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

The test connection to the linked server failed.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "PSQL".
    OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "PSQL" returned message "[Pervasive][ODBC Client Interface][Client LNA]Connection attempt timed out. The SQL Connection Manager may be inactive or using a different transport protocol from the client.". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7303)

For help, click: Source: MSSQLServer ID: 7303 (SQL Server 10.50.1600) - Events And Errors Message Center: Message Details

BUTTONS:

OK

Any ideas on what I might try to resolve this? Thanks!

Other random details:

• Ran a Pervasive System Analyzer test for relational and transactional engines and it passed without error.
    • Pervasive v10.30 Workgroup (32-bit) is installed locally (not a service).
    • I can query the datatabase name in Pervasive Control Center > Execute SQL Command without error.
    • I opened Excel 2007 and was able to pull data from the DEMODATA data source directly into Excel without error.

Looks like I found the solution. In XP, I only had to setup an ODBC DSN using the Engine Interface. For some reason in Windows 7 (64-bit) I had to setup a Client Interface ODBC DSN pointing to an Engine Interface, then use the Client Interface for the SQL Linked Server.

A bit bizarre, but it works...