Unanswered: General query for unknown database

Hi

I am in a company using a database form a third party company. I do not know what it is based on but it looks like a very simple one in VB.

I am trying to get them to change something on the user end, and they seem reluctant to help, i.e. do the work. They may not even know how to do what I ask, so I am here to ask if this is possible.

Basically, in the form we use at the user end, There is a table of records.

ID, code number, Description are the fields.

I want to rewrite the table and change the records or create a new table with new records(keeping the main ID field).

The problem is obviously that if we change the records, the records will change on all historical data.

We dont want this, we just need to have a new set of options for the future.

Is it possible for the form(where we use a drop down box to choose a record) link to a different table after a certain date? Or any other way around it?

Thank you in advance

Provided Answers: 1
    "database from a third party company. I do not know what it is based on but it looks like a very simple one in VB."

Let's start by correcting things - NO database is "IN" VB.

VB is a development LANGUAGE which can use various 'backend' databases.
    SQL Server - 'standard' or 'express' (most often used)
    MySQL
    Informix
    Oracle
    etc.

Next, while, if you have the appropriate Database security rights, you can indeed make changes to the data tables within the 'backend' database - either new tables and/or new fields in existing tables, that alone does not make those new entities appear to be viewed and/or used within the application's GUI interface (entry forms, etc.)

NOTE - if you were to make these changes you need to be very cautious because some changes could 'break' the existing data table referential integrity and thereby render the application non-functional.

A very few applications are 'intelligent' enough to dynamically recognize 'backend' data table changes and automatically reflect those changes and/or enable them to be incorporated into the applications GUI interface.

Due to the nature of the changes you describe, your best bet in this instance would be to have these changes made by either the application vendor itself or by a software contractor who has a LOT of experience in that particular application.

Good Luck

Provided Answers: 1
    I wanted to expand on something I said before.....

"a software contractor who has a LOT of experience in that particular application."

That should have read:

a software contractor who has a LOT of "Under-the-Hood" experience in that particular application - not just someone who has a lot of user experience.

Good Luck

Suggest you copy this entire environment to another machine that cannot even "see" the original. Then experiment away as long as your work is completely isolated and Nothing can "bleed across" to the original envieonment.

One of the first orders of business will be to determine the underlying data structure(s).