Question Unanswered: Stupid Question: Shortcut Key for a locked range

Hi, I'm sorry but i can't find this anywhere.

Imagine I am referencing a specific cell using =A1

If I drag the formula in either direction this changes to =A2, =A3 or =B1, =C1...

I know that the formula to lock this is =$A$1 but is there a way of selecting this locked range without having to modify the formula manually to add the $'s...

I mean if I click a cell it writes A1 into the formula but if I hold the CTRL button whilst clicking it would select $A$1...

If there is a solution, I've gone years without knowing this!

One way to manually enter an absolute reference formula is to type in the formula without any dollar signs, press F4, press Enter.
    For an existing formula, select the cell, drag your mouse over the text in the formula bar, and press F4 to
    cycle through the different reference states until you see the formula in the absolute (locked) state, then press Enter.

It may be possible to automate this in code, and I am posting a demo to show how this might be done. I say "might"
    because the code I've developed in a few hours, that seems to work, has only been briefly tested. If the tested and
    debugged version were to be used, it cound be put in a sub in a module in Personal.xls (in the XLStart folder), assign
    a hot-key to run it, such as Ctrl+e, and you may save some time converting one or more cell formulas to absolute reference.
    This works for me in Excel 2003.
    Jerry
    Attached Files Attached Files

I found an easier way to automate changing a cell reference in a formula from any state to absolute. I also learned that the
    first demo I attached did not include all scenarios, for example "=A$1", when entered in column #1, was not converted to absolute,
    and analyzing the formula's code string in VBA to do the conversion was, in my opinion, not possible.

I found some code at a dotcom forum called ExcelForum. I revised my demo, which now has just a few lines of code.
    Jerry
    Code:
    Sub Lock_MyFormula()
    Dim xCell As Range

For Each xCell In Selection.Cells

If xCell.HasFormula Then
            xCell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula(Formula:=xCell.Formula, _
                fromreferencestyle:=Application.ReferenceStyle, toabsolute:=xlAbsolute)
        End If

Next

End Sub

Sub UnLock_MyFormula()
    Dim xCell As Range

For Each xCell In Selection.Cells

If xCell.HasFormula Then
            xCell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula(Formula:=xCell.Formula, _
                fromreferencestyle:=Application.ReferenceStyle, toreferenceStyle:=xlA1, toabsolute:=xlRelative)
        End If

Next

End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JerryDal; 07-28-12 at 00:09. Reason: clarification