Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2

    Unanswered: Do i need multiple forms if i want several people to add data to a table?

    Hello All,
    I built very simple access database with the purpose of allowing several users (around 7) to enter new records from a form at the same time. This then is exported to a spreadsheet that does the various calculations needed.

    My current set up is a single table containing the data and a single form to enter new data in. These are placed in a group folder on the network.

    My questions are as follows:
    1) I have split the database into two forms in one tables in another. Is there anything else i need to do to make the system multi user friendly?
    2) does each member need their own form if they want to be able to edit simultaniously. OR can they all just click on the same file and start editing records?
    3) what measures / systems can i put in place so that people cant add the same new record. For example if A and B click the file and start editing record 9 at the same time. how can i make it so that one does not overwrite the other. Instead one says at record 9 and when saves 1 becomes record 10?

    More questions might come about as i work things out.
    [

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,442
    Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcompany View Post
    1) I have split the database into two forms in one tables in another. Is there anything else i need to do to make the system multi user friendly?
    Copy the database containing the input form on the computer of every user. Do to open it from a shared network folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcompany View Post
    2) does each member need their own form if they want to be able to edit simultaniously. OR can they all just click on the same file and start editing records?
    See above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcompany View Post
    3) what measures / systems can i put in place so that people cant add the same new record. For example if A and B click the file and start editing record 9 at the same time. how can i make it so that one does not overwrite the other. Instead one says at record 9 and when saves 1 becomes record 10?
    If the table contains a column defined as an AutoNumber (usually indexed and often the primary key but this is not strictly mandatory), two rows with the same value in this column will never be possible (except if you tamper with the table definition).
    Have a nice day!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •