Unanswered: DB2 LUW, Can't setup connection using Configuration Assistant

DB2 client 9.7.5 on Windows. Db2 server 9.7.5 on Open Suse Linux 12.1.

Hi,

Please bear with me if it seems like a silly question since I am new to DB2 LUW.

I can connect to the above db2 server using Putty where I supply the linux machine's ip and SSH port. Basically it connects to the server as a linux user and then I invoke DB2 from there.

But I want to register the remote database at my client windows machine using Configuration Assistant so I can access it locally from my client machine.

So I have given the linux server's ip as hostname and port as db2 service port 50005 for tcp which I have checked its listening on. Database name given is the instance name of db2 server. But when I do a Test Connection using one of the linux system userid and password, it doesn't work.

I know tcp service at port 50005 is working since netstat -an | grep 50005 shows it with LISTEN.

Any idea what could be going wrong. I suspect I am using an operating system userid and password but at DB2 level. Not sure how authentication should happen.

This is the exact error I get on Test Connection.

CLI connection failed.
    SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "192.168.1.459". Communication function detecting the error: "connect". Protocol specific error code(s): "10060", "*", "*". SQLSTATE=08001

Thanks in advance for ideas.
    Amar

Provided Answers: 18
    Can you ping the Suse Server from your windows client?
    Is the IP of the Suse server = 192.168.1.459 ?
    From the Windows client, in a cmd.exe window, what is the result of:
    telnet 192.168.1.459 50005
    If you do not see "Connected to..." then you might have firewall issues.
    If Windows-Firewall (or any software firewall) is active on your Windows client, configure a rule to allow TCP traffic inbound and outbound for port 50005.

Quote Originally Posted by xamar View Post
    DB2 client 9.7.5 on Windows. Db2 server 9.7.5 on Open Suse Linux 12.1.

Hi,

Please bear with me if it seems like a silly question since I am new to DB2 LUW.

I can connect to the above db2 server using Putty where I supply the linux machine's ip and SSH port. Basically it connects to the server as a linux user and then I invoke DB2 from there.

But I want to register the remote database at my client windows machine using Configuration Assistant so I can access it locally from my client machine.

So I have given the linux server's ip as hostname and port as db2 service port 50005 for tcp which I have checked its listening on. Database name given is the instance name of db2 server. But when I do a Test Connection using one of the linux system userid and password, it doesn't work.

I know tcp service at port 50005 is working since netstat -an | grep 50005 shows it with LISTEN.

Any idea what could be going wrong. I suspect I am using an operating system userid and password but at DB2 level. Not sure how authentication should happen.

This is the exact error I get on Test Connection.

CLI connection failed.
    SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "192.168.1.459". Communication function detecting the error: "connect". Protocol specific error code(s): "10060", "*", "*". SQLSTATE=08001

Thanks in advance for ideas.
    Amar
    There is no way for us to know if you have set up your client correctly unless you post the following information:

From the client:
    db2 list node directory
    db2 list db directory

From the server:
    db2 list db directory
    db2 get dbm cfg | grep '(SVCENAME)'
    db2set -all
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Provided Answers: 1
    Database name given is the instance name of db2 server.
    Although this is unrelated to the error you're getting, it doesn't sound right.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Hi,

@db2mor,
    Yes, that is the ip of the linux machine. I can ping it using that and connect to it using SSH through putty.

I have tried turning off the firewall at linux server, but still the db2 connect didn't work. But I haven't tried disabling the firewall at client windows machine. Will try that and get back to you.

telnet 192.168.1.459 50005 however waits forever and doesn't work. But I see in linux that its listening on port 50005.

@Marcus, I will post those details in a few hours once I get to the machines.

telnet 192.168.1.459 50005 however waits forever and doesn't work. But I see in linux that its listening on port 50005.
    If the telnet command to that ip and port does not work (it may not be clear when it is working and when it is not working), then you have a firewall problem. It doesn't matter whether Linux is listening on that port or not.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Provided Answers: 18
    Looks like something is blocking port 50005 either on Windows, or on Linux or at some point between the workstation and the server. Use tracerte to see the path between your workstation and the Linux server.

So the easiest thing to do is to open the port 50005 on the end-points and on any intervening firewalls.

If it takes too long to get that done (e.g. firewalls are out of your control, or have beurocratic procedures for getting ports opened) then a practical option is to tunnel your DB2 connection via the SSH port which you know is opened. Read about ssh-tunnelling in any good SSH book or google is your friend here...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    If the telnet command to that ip and port does not work (it may not be clear when it is working and when it is not working), then you have a firewall problem. It doesn't matter whether Linux is listening on that port or not.
    Thanks Marcus, db2mor and n_i. Turning off firewall did help with telnet. I also started xinetd. Not sure if that helped too.

Anyway, now I have added the connection setup to firewall custom rules and can connect with firewall up.

Thanks again for looking into it.
    Amar