Thread: UPDATE column

Unanswered: UPDATE column

Does anyone know why this update only updates the column specified and makes all other columns null?

example: I update all US records for sept 11 and they get updated correctly but ALL other records get nulls when they had a previous value????

Code Below:

update monthly
    set (lifestage, days_active) = (
    select lifestage, customer_days from lifestage
    where (monthly.accountnumber = lifestage.accountnumber
    and monthly.league = 'US'
    and month = '2011-09-01'))
    GO

Thanks in advance!

Provided Answers: 5
    What DB2 version and OS are you using?

Your SQL is updating every row of the table. You need a predicate on the UPDATE statement.

Andy

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by nadecian View Post
    this update only updates the column specified and makes all other columns null
    Could you demonstrate how you came to that conclusion?
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

ARWinner - I am using DB2 9.7 (LUW)... i will look into how to predicate on the update statement.

n_i - I am dumping monthly queries into a table in case I have to go back to the data in a couple months... I updated June data (in July) and all columns had values... I updated July data (in Aug) and every june record was null for the records I updated in Aug.

Provided Answers: 1
    n_i - I am dumping monthly queries into a table in case I have to go back to the data in a couple months... I updated June data (in July) and all columns had values... I updated July data (in Aug) and every june record was null for the records I updated in Aug.
    I have no idea what it means "to dump a monthly query into a table". From your description all I can say is that one or more of your SQL statements is incorrect.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Provided Answers: 5
    ARWinner - I am using DB2 9.7 (LUW)... i will look into how to predicate on the update statement.

You definitely need a where clause on the update (yours is on the subquery).

Andy

Thanks ARWinner... worked perfectly.

n_i > I forgot to specify that I am tracking a small group of customers monthly behavior (qty: 80k) and I am dumping all their transactions into a table incase I am asked to look into other matrix down the road.

Thanks for the help everyone