Unanswered: IBM got me confused (again)

I thought I knew... How it all works with JDBC type 2 & 4 connections to db2, I really did

For my client I need to set up a JDBC-2 connection from a RedHat linux client to a aix-based db2 server.
    Well, I've got a nice little vmware-debian-db2-express-c-9.5-image and I used that to create & test a micky-mouse-java program capable of making a connecion to the sample database (on another server) and bravely reading & displaying the employee table. I made 2 versions of that micky-mouse-program: 1 using a type-2 connection and 1 making a type-4 connection. Both work great!

I copied the 2 class files to the redHat machine on which the db2-client-v9.1 is installed and the nodes & databases catalogued and tested. The jdbc-4 version works like a charm.

So far the good news. I need the jdbc-2:
    Code:
    com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.SqlException: Failure in loading T2 native library db2jcct2, reason: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: db2jcct2 (Not found in java.library.path)
            at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t2.a.a(a.java:31)
    When I examine the content of '~/sqlllib/lib' on the RedHat and compare that to the same lib on my db2-express-c@debian machine I notice that the 'libdb2jcc*' files missing on the RedHat machine. That explains the error.

WHY?
    Why are they not present on the db2-client? Did I grab and install a wrong version? Does IBM package them with and without those libraries? Or is merely a client not enought and should I install the whole database to utalize a jdbc-2 connection?

And yes: I know the JDBC-2 is deprecated since V9 BUT it works fine on my v9.5 machine.
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes

Provided Answers: 18

Thanks. But that is not it. The required libraries are just not installed together with the db2v91-client package and I wonder why not? And when it is due to the fact that JDBC-2 is deprecated, then why was it included in the db2-express-c-v95?
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes

Please install V9.1 IBM Data Server Runtime Client

Quote Originally Posted by dr_te_z View Post
    I thought I knew... How it all works with JDBC type 2 & 4 connections to db2, I really did

For my client I need to set up a JDBC-2 connection from a RedHat linux client to a aix-based db2 server.
    Well, I've got a nice little vmware-debian-db2-express-c-9.5-image and I used that to create & test a micky-mouse-java program capable of making a connecion to the sample database (on another server) and bravely reading & displaying the employee table. I made 2 versions of that micky-mouse-program: 1 using a type-2 connection and 1 making a type-4 connection. Both work great!

I copied the 2 class files to the redHat machine on which the db2-client-v9.1 is installed and the nodes & databases catalogued and tested. The jdbc-4 version works like a charm.

So far the good news. I need the jdbc-2:
    Code:
    com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.SqlException: Failure in loading T2 native library db2jcct2, reason: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: db2jcct2 (Not found in java.library.path)
            at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t2.a.a(a.java:31)
    When I examine the content of '~/sqlllib/lib' on the RedHat and compare that to the same lib on my db2-express-c@debian machine I notice that the 'libdb2jcc*' files missing on the RedHat machine. That explains the error.

WHY?
    Why are they not present on the db2-client? Did I grab and install a wrong version? Does IBM package them with and without those libraries? Or is merely a client not enought and should I install the whole database to utalize a jdbc-2 connection?

And yes: I know the JDBC-2 is deprecated since V9 BUT it works fine on my v9.5 machine.
    Hi

Copying libraries fron one db2 version to other will not work. this is not a recommended procedure.

Please install V91 IBM Data Server Runtime Client on the machine where you are testing your Type-2 driver program.

You can download latest V9.1 fixpack from the following link
    IBM Download Fix Packs by version for IBM Data Server Client Packages - United States

Available fixpacks for V9.1 are listed in the "IBM Data Server Client Packages
    Fix Packs by Version" table

Regards,
    Param

(Just a small comment, off topic , no offense Dick )
    Your suplied "topic subject" isn't THE topic : Adding posts with a short & clear SUBJECT makes it easier to track for all of us , now and in future :-)
    Gr,
    Erwin

Huh?

I do not understand this . . .

Not you. The original poster. HIS header/topic isn't the subject :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ErwinHaTsoF View Post
    (Just a small comment, off topic , no offense Dick )
    Your suplied "topic subject" isn't THE topic : Adding posts with a short & clear SUBJECT makes it easier to track for all of us , now and in future :-)
    Gr,
    Erwin
    Point taken Erwin, thank you my friend. Also thanks to IBM for the effort.
    There is more gradation in the db2-client packages then I realized. I installed the "db2 client" and that does not include the required libraries. When you install the "db2 data server runtime client" all the files will be present.

I just installed a "too light" version of the client. Maybe to compensate for my own weight?
    - Scott Hayes

Dutch folks would rather call anyones 'over-weight' : "Spieren in rust" , meaning something like this :"muscles at ease /asleep, all in good harmony" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dr_te_z View Post
    WHY?Did I grab and install a wrong version? Does IBM package them with and without those libraries?
    Yes. That was the case. Downloaded & installed the "db2 data server client" and now both my nice little java programs work. They are slightly more complicated than the classic "HelloWorld" so maybe I can end my career like I started: as a programmer

The question still open for me: WHY? Why does IBM package a "db2 client" and a "db2 data server client"? 1 containing the required files to facilitate a jdbc-2 connection and the other does not facilitate that. There must be more to it...

Quote Originally Posted by ErwinHaTsoF View Post
    something like this :"muscles at ease /asleep, all in good harmony" :-)
    See? That's how you become my friend.
    - Scott Hayes

Provided Answers: 18
    One reason for having different kinds of DB2 clients is footprint size (how much diskspace and RAM they need).
    This is important for applications that get distributed with embedded-clients: they distribute only the minimum sized client that is necessary for them to operate.

Another reason for having different kinds of DB2 clients is functionality - why install a full client that is capable of supporting both administration and application-development if neither of those activities will ever be performed from that client? More to install, more to configure and maintain, more to secure etc. This can be important for enterprises that might want to have a minimal db2-client on hundreds or thousands of end-points (laptops, workstations, virtual-machines etc) and that use automated push tools to distribute the db2-client software to those endpoints.

For V10.1 this page gives an overview of the different LUW client types:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../c0022612.html