Thread: ER Model Help

Question ER Model Help

Hey there everyone, been a while since I last posted but I know this is the best place to ask for helpful learning.

I have had a case study given to me and made an ER model for it. I would just like some input and was wondering if people could point out if it's looking good or not right. Here's the case study.

The Principal of a small college in Glasgow would like to understand how successful the College website is at attracting applicants to college. The Principal has commissioned you and your group to design a database that can capture information on visitors and their behaviour while visiting the College website. In particular, the College would like to understand how many visitors to the website eventually becomes either a full-time student on a College course or a part-time student studying one or more modules.

Assume that the website uses page tag code on each page, which is capable of recognising new and returning visitors. The information collected on each visitor is the visitorID, referrer, the visit date/time, session duration and visitor action.

Website visitors are encouraged to provide contact information so that the College can notify prospective students with information about College open days/evenings, courses and modules, new courses and new modules, courses and modules with spaces available and for appointments with College advisors and course leaders.

Visitors interested in making contact with the College provide their first name and last name, e-mail address, home address, home phone and mobile numbers.

Your database should also be capable of storing information on College courses including the course code, course name, exit award (e.g. HNC, HND), maximum number of students, actual number of students (for 2011 August intake) and the name of the course leader. Each year of each course is made up of six modules. The information on each module includes the module code, module name, module syllabus, maximum number of students, actual number of students (for August 2011 intake) and the name of the module leader.

Your database should store information on College staff including staff number, first name, last name, room number, contact telephone numbers and their role in the College (e.g. Student Support Worker, Course leader). Appointments made by visitors to the website with College staff should also be recorded.

Here's the ER model, does it look okay? Thanks guys!
    Attached Files Attached Files

your NameModuleLeader and NameCourseLeader foreign keys seem inappropriately named if they reference a column called StaffNo
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Would a good way to fix that be to have ModuleLeaderStaffNo and CourseLeaderStaffNo, or something similar to that?
    Last edited by Eggobeech; 08-10-12 at 16:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggobeech View Post
    Would a good way to fix that be to have ModuleLeaderStaffNo and CourseLeaderStaffNo, or something similar to that?
    yes, like that
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL