Thumbs down Compile a program

Hi VB Gurus, I have compiled a simple program which includes an access file to store data. When I install the program on a different computer, VB cannot locate the access file. It complains of wrong path. Please, help me out.

Silly question, given that I've only coded in VBA and Lotus Script, but is the problem file loaded onto the new PC? If so, is it loaded into the same directory structure?
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Which version of VB? Are you using a default store path (an environment variable or a registry setting) that isn't on the destination machine? Are you CERTAIN that the file exists, has the proper filename, and the correct path? What error message are you getting that makes you think that it can't find the file?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi pat Phelan, Thanks for your response. I am using VB 6.0. There is an ado Object on my Form. I used the ConnectionString to link the VB to Access. The issue is that by using the connection string, the computer sets the path automatically which I cannot change.

Read your connection string from a configuration file and/or create a mechanism for changing it at runtime.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Asadi View Post
    Hi VB Gurus, I have compiled a simple program which includes an access file to store data. When I install the program on a different computer, VB cannot locate the access file. It complains of wrong path. Please, help me out.
    UNC is your path. \\servername\path...

Can't use local drive letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Asadi View Post
    Hi pat Phelan, Thanks for your response. I am using VB 6.0. There is an ado Object on my Form. I used the ConnectionString to link the VB to Access. The issue is that by using the connection string, the computer sets the path automatically which I cannot change.
    I tried this procedure. I dont think u need to include the application path. that is the path where your database is stored otherwise if you change the computer it wont detect the path. U should learn how to use app.path statement. I normally use ado recordset and I usu. likes using sgl statements to execute my tasks at hand.....If need the codes I can provide so that you problems can be sorted once and for all.