Unanswered: Issue with INSERT-SELECT with linked server

Hello,

I have a historical table on a dedicated SQL Server (let's call it the reporting db) that is populated every morning with production data that does not already exist. The data in the prod table is purged after 7 days and nothing is ever deleted from the historical table. I have set up the linked server between the two 2008 SQL Servers, but when I try to run this simple query from the reporting DB, it takes more than 5 minutes and still "executing". I eventually have to cancel it:

-- INSERT INTO Temp_Import_historical
    SELECT TOP 1 *
    FROM [192.168.1.100].ProdDB.dbo.Temp_Import_historical a
    WHERE NOT EXISTS (select [Temp_Import_ID] from Temp_Import_historical where a.[Temp_Import_ID] = Temp_Import_historical.[Temp_Import_ID])

I have omitted the INSERT statement on purpose, since I can't even get to output 1 row.
    Can someone tell me why this is such a resource intensive query?

TIA

looks like issue with linked server link. is network stable? is there any other parallel processes accessing same source table? how big is the source table?

Yes, the network is stable. There are 11,545,851 records in the historical table and 325,090 records in the production table, as of now. I thought about creating an index on the [Temp_Import_ID] column on the historical table, but I'm afraid that will make writes that much slower. Any other thoughts?

TIA

is it partitioned?

No. Will that help with this insert? If so, should I create an index on [Temp_Import_ID] and partition the index or should I just partition the column?

it might be better if you could partition history table based on date and create an index on it. i hope you will always be interested in latest partition

Provided Answers: 54
    Just to humor me, try:
    Code:
    SELECT *
       INTO #foo
       FROM [192.168.1.100].ProdDB.dbo.Temp_Import_historical a

-- INSERT INTO Temp_Import_historical
       SELECT TOP 1 *
          FROM #foo AS a
          WHERE NOT EXISTS (select [Temp_Import_ID]
             FROM Temp_Import_historical
             WHERE  a.[Temp_Import_ID] = Temp_Import_historical.[Temp_Import_ID])
    -PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

PatP,

I ran your code and it took 1 minute and 13 seconds to insert 325,090 rows into #foo. I guess I could add all of them and do a delete based on some set of unique fields, or were you thinking of something else?

TIA

Provided Answers: 54
    Just remove the comment???

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Sorry for the delay. I've gone ahead and implemented the select-into which writes the data to a staging table on the source db, and I then run the insert-select with the "not exists" to bring in the new records. It works like a charm. Thanks a lot guys!