Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Building Links For Naviagation Forms

Hi

Am new to Navigation Forms... Want to set up some Pages on a Tabbed Nav Form. Data from two linked tables. One to Many relationship. I can get the first tab to load with data from the Parent table ok but when I click the second tab, instead of ONLY the related records in the child table, I get ALL the records.

Any pointers on how to filter this? I built a query which returns the dataset based on [Forms]![My Navigation Form]! etc but actually to dril right down the the linking field is not possible in the query builder, as far as I can see.

Help very much appreciated!!

.. update .. I have managed to set up now so that when I click the Child Form Tab, it prompts me for the ID which links the tables.

Something tells me this is simple and thatn I am being a blockhead ... help would be greatly appreciated!

Provided Answers: 2
    Have you set the parent and child fields?
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Thank you sooo much for helping here.. this morning it is no better! Where abouts do I need to look to do that?

You should have a Subform/Subreport object on your form. It will have a pair of properties called Parent Fields and Child Fields. Here is where you set which field on the main form (Parent) controls the link between the two data sources, and the corresponding field on the subform (Child).
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Thanks again for that. I will check it out now.... will this be the same when the main form in a Navigation Form? The ultimate aim is to have data from two linked tables on each of two tabs - eg. resource and rates but on different tabs.

I don't appear (or cant' find!) those fields. That must mean I am doing something fundamentally wrong ..?

Perhaps if you post some screen shots of what your forms look like?

Ok so you are going to hate me now, but I don't know how to paste pics into this forum. Are we allowed to do that?

If I create a form and put a subform on it, I can see the Child / Parent fields and these do appear to be set correctly. When I click through the records on the main form, the filter kicks in and displays subform records to the main form record only.

However, what I really want, is to put a Horizontal Tabbed Subform and have my subforms displayed in separate tabs, filtered to just the current record on the first tab.

Does that makes sense and if so, how would I do this?

Thank you thank you again ...

Ok so i have finally done this albeit by total accident. I created the main form, with all the subforms on it, so the page was very long. Then I put the Tab control on the form and cut the fields and subforms individually onto the Tabs. Now when i scroll through the records, each tab as relevant and only relevant information.

HOWEVER this leaves me wondering about the fundamentals of the Navigation Form. I was creating that and then expecing to be able to drop subforms onto those tabs. should that be the case?

As to pictures, most people seem to link to image sites.

As to your tabs and subforms, I would expect you to be able to put a Tab control on a form and then just drop subforms onto the tabs. As you have found out, once the Parent/Child links are in place (and Access is generally good about working these out, especially if you have relationships defined), the subforms display the anticipated information. However, I have yet to play with Access post 2000, so I might be missing something.

Thanks again for that. Really appreciate your coming back to me. I am in Surrey too BTW!

No problem, and good luck with it!