getting my hands dirty...

Hello, I'm glad I've found this kind of db forum with a great community! = means I'll learn a lot!

I have a little experience with mysql and website design, which I learned for fun during college. Also installed ms sql server and played around with some asp.net. However, i've never went into depth and have touch these for the last 3 years.

Now, I have a project in mind and want to execute it. I want to create a simple db with patient information stored in it. Where I can search/choose the patient's name or work place and all his/her info appears.

I would like to do this the simplest way (if possible). Maybe MS Access? I've never used it but ready to learn and thought starting with an offline db would be good idea? I know it's not the most practical solution to access a db.

THanks a lot !

welcome to dbforums.com I'm kinda new over here.. But I'm enjoying the forum's topics

anyone?

If you already have SQL Server (and maybe Access), you can do what you want easily with either.

When you get stuck with something particular, post in the appropriate part of the forum and someone may have a suggestion / solution.
    Last edited by papadi; 09-03-12 at 00:25.

I'm not sure what the patient information laws are in Germany these days, but in the United States HIPPA governs almost every facet of online storage of patient information. Be very, VERY sure you understand the implications of building this type of database BEFORE you start!

I would recommend that you think more about what you want to store than how you want to retrieve it... Programs come and go over time, even platforms MainFrame, Mini, PC, Tablet, cell-phone, etc. and operating systems (zOS, *ix, Windows, etc) are around for weeks, months, or even decades but the data itself stays around forever! There's absolutely nothing that says that you won't have three or more platforms, each with its own operating system all active at once accessing a single set of data.

Each platform has its own tools, personality, and quirks. I generally recommend that you pick the most advanced and feature-rich platform that you can afford now, since you'll almost certainly outgrow even that quickly if you start to heavily use the system! The single biggest cause for failure in start-up projects is gross underestimation of the expected usage!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.