Question Unanswered: ?Configuration of Sql Server Management Objects in Sql Server Management Studio?

Hi All,

I am in the process of patching my installation of SQL Server 2005 to allow Sql Server Management Studio to connect to SQL Server 2008 servers.

According to the page (Cumulative update package 5 for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2), you must enable the SQL Server Management Object (SMO) extended stored procedures and the SQL Server Distributed Management Object (SQL-DMO) extended stored procedures before you apply the cumulative update package. For more information about the SMO and DMO XPs option, see SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

On Books Online I found the following.

sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1;
    GO
    RECONFIGURE;
    GO
    sp_configure 'SMO and DMO XPs', 1;
    GO
    RECONFIGURE
    GO

After running the first 4 lines I was expecting to see an option available, in the Sql Server Management Studio interface, to allow me to graphically view and configure the status of the use of SMO and SQL-DMO extended stored procedures.

Should you be able to see the configuration status for SMO and SQL-DMO extended stored procedures within the Sql Server Management Studio interface or is this something that can only be configured via the execution of the above code?

Thanks, Michael.

Provided Answers: 54
    This can't normally be configured using the GUI tools. There are ways to allow it, but I haven't used them in years.

Run the SQL statement:
    Code:
    EXECUTE sp_configure 'SMO and DMO XPs'
    and inspect the output.

Pure FYI, you're tinkering at a much lower level than the GUI normally supports. I'm a crusty old character that is quite comfortable using SQL Statements, but if you choose to play at this level I'd strongly suggest that you do so using SQL statments instead of relying on the GUI.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.