Question Unanswered: newby building a basic database

i am using access 2010 for a customer records database and the opening screen needs to have a single search box where as i start typing it populates with relevant dat found throughout the database tables , on selecting one of the fields i need it to go to that full record by populating another form how easy is this task please ?

Hi Steve1033

Check the link maybe this is what you need...

Macromedia Flash (SWF) Movie Created by Camtasia Studio 2

If you base your search text box on a dropdown from the costumer table...

Let me know if this is what you mean...

Question thanks for the reply

thanks for that
    the link is on the right track only i want to only have one search box and when i type into it , it starts prepopulating until i find what i am looking for then select the item where it then opens up the form with only that persons details in it

Provided Answers: 19
    Retrieving a Record by searching on a Field that is unique to a given Record can be easily done, without even using code, using the Combobox Wizard. Here's a short tutorial:

If you haven't already done so, create a form based on your table or query, including all the fields you want displayed. Then, in Form Design View, simply:

• Add a Combobox to your Form.
    • The Combobox Wizard will pop up
    • Select "Find a record based on the value I selected in my combobox."
    • From the Table or Query the Form is based on, click on the Field you're searching by (a Field that is unique for each Record) to move it to the right side.
    • Hit Next.
    • Size the column appropriately.
    • Hit Next.
    • Name the Combobox something appropriate.
    • Hit Finish.
    Now you can drop the Combobox down and scroll down to the item to search by, or you can start to enter the item, and the Combobox will "autofill" as you type. Hit <Enter> and the record will be retrieved.

Your statement

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1033
    needs to have a single search box where as i start typing it populates with relevant dat found throughout the database tables , on selecting one of the fields...
    on the other hand, is somewhat troubling, and tends to suggest that your Database is not properly Normalized ! With a properly Normalized Database, you should know where the particular type of data resides, not have to schlepp through all of the Tables in your app.

Perhaps a plain-English explanation of exactly what you're searching for, here, would help us to help you!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thumbs up Wow you make it sound so easy i will try that

thanks for the input i will try that shortly and feed back

Smile Brilliant

i get that to work Thanks a lot
    so that it auto completes but when i select the string in the box i want it to bring back all that clients data in a form i guess i have to creat the form first , that being done right now but how to populate it with the data from my auto complete box every day is a school day

the best explanation i can give for this issue is that of how ggogle currently works when i start typing it tries to predict what i am typing as i go along then if it gets to the thing i am looking for be fore i comlete the full word i can click on it and it will take to that record . i have two tables both keyed on the id number with with all contact details on and the other with categories if i start searching for everyone in a category i want the list of people who fall into that category to drop down in the list or if i type a surname in it should bring back all the surnames so i can pick the one i want. hope this helps

i have a test db that i can upload to somewherre if neccesary