Unanswered: Deriving field value from another field

I need to derive an automatic field value that is based from another field.

Example:

compet_code

lvl_number

The lvl_number is inputted manually here, but I need to make the lvl_number field get an automatic value from the 4th character in the compet_code (namely the 3 in 4013.01)

how do I do it?

Also, what's the best practice?
    1) having two table with lvl_number ; compet_code AND compet_code ; compet_inf

2) one table containing compet_code ; compet_inf; lvl_number (where the level is derived from compet_code) ?

Provided Answers: 2
    It's generally not done to store derived values. It's easier to derive them whenever you need them.

If you always want the fourth character of compet_code to be lvl_number, then
    Code:
    lvl_number: Mid(compet_code, 4, 1)
    will give this.

I would advise that you have one table that contains non-derived data, and a query to derive anything required from that.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Provided Answers: 59
    Assuming Compet_code is a composite number...
    for me best practise would be to store the individual elements separately and create the compet_code as required in a query. if the DB starts storing significantamounts of data then additional string manipulations will cause perfromance bottlenecks equally you may struggle to satisfactorily index required elements

pulling out the nth character of a numeric value can be tricky unless you limit the numbers to a specific format.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton