Unanswered: Need advice on database replication vs making remote calls

I need some advice. I work for a small business who has a somewhat successful ecommerce site. Our website is based on some VERY large DB's with 10's of millions of records, and 40+GB of images, so we choose to self host so we could easily manage the data. As things have grown and we've cobbled a fair amount of integration between the website databases and our internal systems. Fast forward 4-5 years, the website has grown to the point that self hosting is costing us a fortune in bandwidth costs, so I'm thinking of moving to a co-location facility. If I do that, I need to send the website tables along with it. Is there a replication stradagy that would allow us to have two independant DB's, both able to take updates that would sync with one another? My other thought is to spit the tables on two different DB's and let some of the data live in the co-location facility.. but I am worried about the performance impact for local users. Any thoughts?

whats frequency at which you want to do sync up? if its at realtime look for transactional replication

Quote Originally Posted by visakh16 View Post
    whats frequency at which you want to do sync up? if its at realtime look for transactional replication
    yea, it would need to be basicly real time.

I'm just digging into this. Is it possible to do updates on both instances, or does one have to act as a master? (merge replication?)
    can an MSSQL novice pull this off or is it a bear to manage?
    Last edited by meatisgood; 08-21-12 at 17:48.