Unanswered: Front End / Back End DB

Hello and Thank you in advance.

I was trying to find some information on FE and BE Database.

Currently I have a DB that is out on a Network share but it is not split into FE and BE. The access to this DB is controled via our Network and a User Group to the specific Share the DB is located on.

The issue I have is now and then someone use the DB and leaves it open or something and it locks it out for me to do any maintenance or changes to it.

I wanted to find some information on the FE and BE process to understand it more but I couldn't find anything in the Access Help and I tried to search this forum for something but most of what I found where specific issues individuals where having.

Can anyone assist me with some article or site location etc that would be a good resource for understanding how FE and BE works and what I would need to do.

Thank you,
    Brian

Provided Answers: 19
    Having multiple users sharing a single, non-split database, sitting on a network drive is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, as well as speed and timing problems! Multiple users simply have to work off of a split database, with each user having their own copy of the Front End, which contains everything except the data/tables, on their respective hard drives, and a Back End with all Tables on a shared drive.

Being in forced retirement, I spend 8-10 hours a day here, and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past six years have seen dozens and dozens of reports of major problems including corruption/loss of data, caused by multi-users on a non-split Database!

Here’s an excellent tutorial on the subject, including precise step-by-step instructions:

Splitting your Access database into application and data

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

THank you for the article. It was very informative. I think this would work for me the only issue I would have would be getting everyone the FE piece of the database. I don't work in IT at my company I work in the Finance department so I wouldn't have access to any of the tools that IT uses for deploying software or updates. I would have to either Email it to them or Send them a Link to the Share to retrive it.

But I will look into this more. I haven't had any issues with corruption of data, its just when the DB gets locked on me that I have issues.

Thank you agin.

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by CHI Brian View Post

...I would have to either Email it to them or Send them a Link to the Share to retrive it...

...I haven't had any issues with corruption of data...
    You need to do whatever it takes, because you will have issues with corruption, sooner or later! Notice I didn't say 'you might' or 'you could, but 'you will!' This is a certainty!

The really insidious thing is that the non-split app can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

The record, to my knowledge, belonged to a Non-Split db that had been working, without problems, for 12 years! It then started having problems with Records locking and updates failing, and finally loss-of-data through corruption, and continued to do so until the app was split!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by CHI Brian View Post
    THank you for the article. It was very informative. I think this would work for me the only issue I would have would be getting everyone the FE piece of the database. I don't work in IT at my company I work in the Finance department so I wouldn't have access to any of the tools that IT uses for deploying software or updates. I would have to either Email it to them or Send them a Link to the Share to retrive it.

But I will look into this more. I haven't had any issues with corruption of data, its just when the DB gets locked on me that I have issues.

Thank you agin.
    There are tools in the code bank on this forum that can ghandle deployment of new front end db's
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton