Unanswered: Database Display per client request

So I am making a data website for a online video game. Basically I am using the games API to retrieve large amounts of data for a specific person. However my question is which would be the best way to display or temporarily store the data. For example, if a person wants to look up their character I will need to use the api to get their information but what I am wondering is from a database perspective which would be the best way to go about it, making a new table and insert the data from the api request, then display the entire database, that then erases itself, or have a massive database for all requests and then populate the table from the specific cells and display only that portion of the table. So a person will go to the site enter their playername and my site will display the persons kills, deaths, gold earned etc, over several dozen games, I can retrieve the data using the players name in conjunction with the api function but I am wondering what would be the best thing to do with the data so that it can be displayed after. Thanks for any help, im pretty new with databases, at this point i know how to access them from php, make them, add columns, values, from both mysql and php side, so just really basic stuff. Thanks alot

Determining a suitable course of action for this is not something you can do without looking at the big picture. For example, how many persons will be attempting to access their information at the same time? Will this information be accessed many times or just once? How many profiles will be stored?

Indexes allow speedy access to data and provided they are well maintained and indexing the correct fields, results can be returned quickly.

At another level if you are using MyISAM tables, MySQL buffers the index data and the operating system will buffer your data so that if you attempt a second access within a reasonably short period of time you will be able to access your data more efficiently than the first time.

If you are using InnoDB then there are buffers for both indexes and data managed by the InnoDB engine which also will give you quicker access to your data.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter