Unanswered: Group Headers - Suppress if Empty

Hello Everyone,

I am stuck once again. I tried searching the forum for somthing that might work but what I found wasn't what I needed.

I have 4 Group Headers on a report: VP, Director II, Director I & Manager.

THe issue is, Director II & I and somtimes Manager are Empty but the report still shows the Blank Space when it prints. Which makes the report much longer then it needs to be.

Is there some way to Suppress these Empty Headers so they don't print and I can condence the report a little bit. I attempted an IIF statement in the Print section of properties but I don't know the Syntax in that situation to make it work.

Thank you in Advance for your assistance.

Brian

I frankly don't see how that's possible. If manager reports to director1, and director1 reports to director2, who reports to vp, how could you ever have a blank? Is the worker independent?

There's something wrong with the hierarchy of the report headers, I suspect.

The only other possibility I can think of is that the manager, director, etc. info was never entered into the record correctly, and that's why it shows up blank. Can you 1) correct the record so it has all the correct information, AND 2) correct the data entry program (for the original record) so the user, or the program, is forced to enter the correct hierarchy into the record? I suspect that'll take care of the problem.

There is another possiblity. Your recordsource (report's underlying query) may be faulty: a missing/incorrect join, perhaps, or even a missing table that contains the missing info.

Sam

Hi Sam,
    Your question is a good one. This structure is for our Departments, The departments have managers who in turn report to either a Director I or directly to a VP. So...

If a Department doesn't have a Manager or a Director I or II, there is no one listed under those sections for those departments. I know it isn't the ideal but that is how our organization is structured. There is actually only 1 Director II who has a handful of our departments the remaining 100 or so have manager, director I and VP so no Director II for Director I to report to.

In that case, I would advise as follows: Have a single textbox called, perhaps, Mgmt. It might look like this: VP: John Doe; D1: Jane Deere; etc. all the way down to manager. If there's no middle manager it would simply skip it. That single textbox would be the group header. Anyone below them would be in the Detail section.

You might consider building the Mgmt field in your RecordSource underlying query; that way you can sort your report on the management team, if you want to, instead of the worker team.

Sam

I am not real sure exactly what you mean by using a single field. I am not sure how that would work with different levels of management even though some are blank.

The detail section shows our Department Numbers and Names has no other people in it.

In your RecordSource's underlying query, using Access' query designer, insert a new field as the first field in the QBE grid. Program it as follows:
    Code:
    Mgmt: vp + iif(d1 > "",", " + d1,"") + iif(d2 > "",", " + d2,"") + iif(mgr > "",", " + mgr,"")
    This will consolidate the management team into one field; use it as the group header. Remove the fields that are already there. Also, remove the individual fields from the query as well.

Obviously, my field names (d1, d2, etc.) are examples, as I don't know what your field names are, and I'm only hoping that you have separate fields for the various levels of management. If that's not the case, this task will be a lot thornier.

Sam