Unanswered: Need advice on how to set up table(s)

Im going to create a asset tracker for IT and after looking at the spreadsheet they use as an asset tracker now I see we order several brands of PC's. Thinkpad, Lenovo, Sony, Futjitsu, Hp, Etc. My issue is with their naming convention. They have thinkpad001, lenovo 001, sony001, etc instead of companyname00001. I want to create a table and use thinkpad### as the input mask for thinkpads but also use sony### as the input mask for sonys and so on. Is this going to be possible? Would i need to set up a manufactures table and then a PC name table that shows [Manufacture] [PC name]? And if I have to use 5-6 different tables can I then have a drop down to select the manufacture and type the new pc name? Not sure if that would work.

Provided Answers: 59
    considering most company's use an internal asset tracking number I'd be tempted to use that. by all means recond the manufacturer the model and so on.

If you were in the UK theoretically you'd have to have a periodic electrical test to prove the device is compliant.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    considering most company's use an internal asset tracking number I'd be tempted to use that. by all means recond the manufacturer the model and so on.

If you were in the UK theoretically you'd have to have a periodic electrical test to prove the device is compliant.
    I completely agree with you and most divisions in my company do that. Im pushing for them to do this as well but getting a ton of resistance...their reason "its too much work"....

Provided Answers: 59
    so consider getting some pre printed labels, issue a stock to each division (there should be no need to worry about contiguous numbers. get them to issue a label to each device, record the details on a sheet of paper (or form)..

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&outp...w=1366&bih=681

Im on a horrificaly slow choked t'internet connection so cannot citre references. You kay need to give an asset number for each part of the computer (eg PSU, powercable, laptop; power cable, CPU box, monitor, power cable mouse etc.....). The reason if you switch to label stock then it becomes an issue trying to print n lables for the same device build, so its better to have a separate number of reach item, but record the individual items that comprise the device.

An alternative is to use a special label printer such as Dymo, and so on then issue blocks of labels. Unless you know when new equipment is to be delivered then you'd be better off issuing blocks of pre printed labels
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton