Repeating fields in a Star schema/ dimensional model?

Greetings. I rarely post here, but may be doing so more in the coming months.

I have exactly one dimensional model/ Star schema design under my belt..... about 4 years ago. :-)

So I am tasked with taking a small DB, and creating a Star schema out of it. The requirements are luckily quite loose, as this is mainly an acedemic task for potential future projects.

At any rate, I have a table with 14 occurences of the same field:

primaryKey
    msg001
    msg002
    msg014

Part of a dimensional model is to reduce the number of joins required to satisfy queries, but anything I'd do to make this prettier would increase that number. Now I know how to transform this into a relational model/ OLTP design, but what should I do in this instance?

Thanks!

How do the msg001---msg014 attributes relate to the primary key? Is this a fact or a dimension table? How do you envision it being used?

Without a bucket-load more information, all we can do is offer bad guesses.

A star schema is usually used for a Data Mart, essentially a delivery tool for the output from a Data Warehouse. Once you understand what data exists in the Data Warehouse and how the Data Mart will be used to deliver some portion of the information from the Data Warehouse, then you can begin to make good judgements about what objects and attributes are needed in the Data Mart.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Bear with me here, I dont know lot about this data.

This data came from a mainframe (non relational). The table is called TEXT, there are only a few other fields, and then TEXT_LINE001 - TEXT_LINE014. Effectivley they just look like notes to me. This would be a dimensional table.

Unless you can provide more information about the underlying data, you don't need to do anything at all. If there is no dimensional data, you need only a fact table for a star schema.

If it turns out that the data is more complex, post the details as you find them!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.