Arrow Unanswered: Trying to set up a TCP/IP connection

I'm trying to connect to my internet connection to set up a database, except I don't know what address to enter and port. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to enter my DNS server address, but it's not detecting the connection. Which is why I suspect the port isn't correct, but I don't know what my port could possibly be?

I'm new at this, so I'm mostly going by tutorials and beginner guides to get started to get a feel for it.

I'm trying to create a Database for an MMO, but also for a website to support the MMO.

You will need to contact your Internet hosting provider to get this information. In some cases access is only permitted locally via phpMyAdmin from your web server. Otherwise if access is permitted from anywhere on the Internet you will need to identify either the IP or the hostname of the host on which the MySQL server exists. The port (MySQL default is 3306) may also be set differently by your hosting provider so you will also need to check with them what port has been configured.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter

Is there a way to test my ip address over the internet and say... show an jpeg image file?

Where would I open files in my database from the ip address?

I'll rephrase... What I meant to say is: where are my files located through mySQL database? Like from C:\, where would I find the database files?

Suggest you involve someone who has experience at this. What you are trying to do might be a bit ambitious for a "first time project".

Ambitious? I'm a computer science student, I think I'm allowed to be ambitious. Just answer my question; I'm looking for where MySQL stores data so I can add a few things.

I've read some tutorials, and it's nothing far off from what I'm learning. I want to get this started so I can get things going.

I already set up my connection, I just need to find out where the data gets stored. Perhaps an explanation would suffice if I have the wrong idea.

What I'm trying to do is set up seperate tables to locate data according to user details.

I could set up a web server, but I doubt that's a wise idea if I want to store usernames and passwords.

How the heck am I supposed to learn anything if nobody is going to help me out with a simple f-ing question?!

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it was in my.ini file.
    Last edited by healdem; 09-03-12 at 07:07. Reason: removed gratuitous insults.