Unanswered: Unable to Login to Local Access 2007 Databases

Hi.

I created a MS access 2003 Mdb Database.
    Then I created a new user and set a password for it.

I am now unable to open any access database on my computer.

Every time I try, the Login Dialogue comes up.

I have tried Administrator and no password and I have tried the new user and the given password. Nothing works.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated as to how I can gain access to access databases on my computer.

And the solution:

Well, the following URL will give you a clue (it took me two hours to find it!)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888734

You do not need to open a database in order to create a new system workgroup (thankfully since that was my problem in the first place!)

Just do the following:
    - Open MSAccess 2007 and press Ctrl G.
    - Run the following command in the Immediate window: DoCmd****nCommand acCmdWorkgroupAdministrator
    - It did not work for me to Join the existing workgroup. I had to create a new workgroup. The name you give the new workgroup does not matter. Just add an arbitrary value for Name, Org and Workgrp ID.

And the conclusion: Do not use Users/Groups in MS Access to authorize access. Use something else like AD.
    Last edited by Haguna; 09-02-12 at 12:29.

Provided Answers: 19
    It's been ages since I even thought about using Access' so-called 'security,' but I seem to remember that when you set user-level security you're actually setting it for Access, itself, rather than setting it for one Database in particular, even if you had that app open when you set the security. Probably why I never used it, that and the fact that a six year-old could bypass it!

Also, you said that you tried
    Administrator and no password
    Did you actually use 'Administrator' and no password, which is incorrect, instead of Admin and no password, which is correct?

Lastly, since we're dealing with moving a 2003 app up to 2007, have the folder(s) the Databases reside in been declared as 'Trusted?'

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by Haguna View Post
    Hi.
    ...And the conclusion: Do not use Users/Groups in MS Access to authorize access. Use something else like AD.
    or read and fully understand the Access Security FAQ.

Access 'security' doens't make things as secure as you sould like, however in conjunction with network permissions and usung a specific workgroup file it can be made pretty resiliant. however if your data does need protecting from prying eyes then you should probably be using a server product and rely in permissions intrinsic with the server product.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    'Security' is always a relative term, and more so, vis--vis Access, than anywhere else!

Glad you got back into your apps!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007