Unanswered: Is this doable ?

Right now I'm using the MS Access database to manage teachers hours, student attendance, billing etc. The back-end database is store on a network share drive so all the users can access/work on it remotely.

My question is: Is it possible to migrate the above database to a MS SQL server? so that I can create a web interface for it to improve the speed. As an FYI, the database has 100s of tables, queries, macros, expressions etc.

Thank you,
    Herbal

Provided Answers: 59
    you don't need to move to a web interface to improve speed, unless you want to.
    you can move the data storage from Access/JET to a server back end and with some redesign of the front end have a perfectly functional application.

there is a tool oin Access that will do the mgration for you. however to get the best of an Access front end and a server backend you will also need to revisit your Access application to suit a server backend, otherwise there is a risk that you have all the drawbacks of JET and few of the benefits of the server but more laod on the server. look up on pass through queries
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi Healdem, Herbal

Apologies for jumping in on this thread but I was looking at working on something similar to Herbal's question.

I have an Access 97 Db that is self contained and I'm looking at putting the tables in SQL Server and have a more user friendly web interface, but not sure how to go about it.

I can migrate the tables to SQL but building the front end is completely new to me, I've looked into ASP.NET but not 100% if this is the best way to go, or on where to go for more info on how to build, develop etc.

Can you point me in the right direction, any info would be great

Dixe77

Try Using PHP

Quote Originally Posted by Dixe77 View Post
    Hi Healdem, Herbal

Apologies for jumping in on this thread but I was looking at working on something similar to Herbal's question.

I have an Access 97 Db that is self contained and I'm looking at putting the tables in SQL Server and have a more user friendly web interface, but not sure how to go about it.

I can migrate the tables to SQL but building the front end is completely new to me, I've looked into ASP.NET but not 100% if this is the best way to go, or on where to go for more info on how to build, develop etc.

Can you point me in the right direction, any info would be great

Dixe77
    You can try PHP, which is easy to learn. And if you don't have too many tables, you may want to try the free mysql which works very well with PHP.