Unanswered: Someone please tel me why this update query isn't giving me the right results

Im trying to update my tblEmployeeDetails email_address from my ademail table (data i snagged from the exchange server) Here is my sql

UPDATE ademail INNER JOIN tblEmployeeDetails ON ademail.[Full_Name] = tblEmployeeDetails.Full_Name SET ademail.Email_Address = [tblEmployeeDetails].[Email_Address];

It shows its going to update 300ish records but then when I look at my tblemployeedetails table the email address are still blank and the email addresses on ademail are now blank.

Provided Answers: 6
    Your SQL does not match your description. The SQL updates ademail, not tblEmployeeDetails.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Your SQL does not match your description. The SQL updates ademail, not tblEmployeeDetails.
    I thought that was the case. I swapped it around and it shows 300ish blank fields its going to update.

It should be this right?

UPDATE ademail INNER JOIN tblEmployeeDetails ON ademail.[Full_Name] = tblEmployeeDetails.Full_Name SET tblEmployeeDetails.Email_Address = [ademail].[Email_Address];
    Last edited by Syrch; 09-07-12 at 20:45.

Isn't that what it's supposed to do; update blank fields?
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Isn't that what it's supposed to do; update blank fields?
    It is, i guess i thought it would show what the update was going to be not what it was going to be before. But now I think about it...its right. It shows you whats going to be updated which in my case were blank fields. Thanks for helping out

No problem.
    Paul

Provided Answers: 59
    If you ran that query in post #1 then running the revised query will be futile unless you have a new copy of the file from exchange server
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton